Sharkskin vs Metal wasabi grater shootout

I stumbled upon some articles recently about some sushi chefs preferring to use metal graters (I.e Jiro) instead of the traditional sharkskin grater

Decided to compare the two materials using fresh wasabi from Half Moon Bay as the test subject.

The metal grater produces a notably lighter and airier product. This results in a brighter & more floral flavor profile compared to sharkskin. As for sharkskin the presence of fibers is more pronounced producing a denser mix and slightly muted flavor profile. I think it boils down to the steel grater does a better job severing the wasabi fibers. The differences are not glaringly obvious when tasted naked and required multiple (eye watering) tastings to discern the differences. Honestly I don’t think one can easily tell them apart when used in sushi.

Verdict: Metal grater notches the win in this comparison.

Note: try to find one with a very fine grating surface. I purchased this larger tooth copper version earlier in the year. It’s really requires quite a bit of effort to grate compared to the one above. Also buy the largest surface you can afford, much easier to grate.

I believe the wasabi from half moon bay is the hatake-wasabi (land grown) variety. Considered a lesser varietal compared to sawa- wasabi which is grown in constantly flowing water fields. I frankly haven’t had enough wasabi in my lifetime to be able to discern the difference vs the Japanese sourced product. It’s still light years better than what you find coming out of tubes and $70 buys you two healthy ~ 7” roots. I paid $45 for a 3” Japanese grown root a few months ago and did not look anywhere as fresh as this. So until the regular home consumer has easy access to some primo grade Japanese wasabi, this is quite a good alternative for fresh wasabi.

8 Likes

what do you do with all that wasabi? i want to buy some but wouldn’t know what to do with half a pound of wasabi. can you freeze it?

I’ll let you know once I figure it out :crazy_face:. 1/2 lb is a lotta wasabi…

4 Likes

That’s enough weapons-grade wasabi to achieve critical mass. Highest bidder: Offer it to the Pentagon or Kim Jong Un…

(photo courtesy of Reactistan on Youtube)
Wasabi first time

2 Likes

Where did you get the metal grater / wasabi?

This would probably work pretty well for wasabi. One of my better kitchenware purchases in recent years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V49WGRQ

1 Like

Hm interesting. $55 for 1/4 lb shipped $70 for 1/2 shipped.

Joint sells Japanese wasabi of unknown weight for $50

Nijiya has had some nice looking fresh Wasabi every time I’ve been recently as well. Don’t recall the price off the top of my head though

2 Likes

It can be pickled but I have no clue how to do it.

Always top it on some nice prime ribeye steak but damn, that would be quite a lot of steak for the amount of wasabi :joy::joy::joy:

This looks like a fun (and expensive) project!

2 Likes

@Ns1 I got mine from Amazon. My larger sized version is sold out however also available at Wasabi Grater by Kinjirushi Wasabi. Wasabi as noted by @PorkyBelly

@robert the oxo (microplane grater) does not operate on the same principal. It slices rather than crush, will not produce the same results.

@aaqjr crap, never have any sake koji in the fridge when I need some! Looks like a fairly easy recipe.,

2 Likes

Here’s another pattern variation 特製 わさびステンレスおろし金 「鬼泪 家庭用」  | 藤屋わさび店

And will they sell you some wasabi stems cheap?! Lol

2lbs for $30, cheaper… Fresh Wasabi Leaves and Stems - Half Moon Bay Wasabi Company Maybe go 90/10 stem/root :laughing:

1 Like

Ooooh good find! I’m seeing that kizami wasabi is considered a shoyu zuke, so even though i don’t see any specific recipes for it. Should be the same procedure just marinaded in soy, rice vinegar and sugar

1 Like

Give it a shot, curious how it turns out.

1 Like

Sure, why not. I can do a mini batch with whatever 20 ish will get me at Nijiya -then i can buy the leaves and stems once I start selling my pickled Wasabi to the masses lol

I checked out what they had at Tokyo Central. I think I’m fine with the small one from Amazon…

1 Like