Shibumi DTLA

i thought it was tasty, nicely seasoned, crispy, juicy and tender.

but if i had to choose, i would pick the chicken, it’s just as good and less than half the price of the wagyu.

3 Likes

live eel alert
https://www.instagram.com/p/CECbPmxjAF3/

5 Likes

From what I understand the chef likes to try to showcase certain Japanese dishes in their original historical forms (such as his teriyaki chicken which is like a soy marinated jerky).

While wagyu katsu seems like a recent phenomenon I believe beef is the original meat used for katsu historically .

Also to answer @hungryhungryhippos about if such a high quality cut of meat translates well to katsu, I think it does if the frying is done expertly so that it does not feel greasy/oily from the frying process itself, although one will definitely need some of that katsu sauce to cut the richness.

5 Likes

I was pretty sure that katsu started with pork.
Reviewing the Japanese Wikipedia entries for katsu and gyu-katsu indicates that katsu started with pork katsu (tonkatsu) in Tokyo and gyu-katsu was a variation that became popular as Western-inspired katsu/fry cooking spread throughout the country to regions where beef was more popular–like Kobe.

Sidenote regarding fried foods: I had the pleasure of trying your pork chop bun two weeks ago. That is some excellent frying you and your team get on the pork. And THANK YOU for not overcooking the pork! It was so good I returned for another one last weekend. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to exploring your menu further!

6 Likes

Funny the English wikipedia entry states beef was the oirignal meat used:

Tonkatsu originated in Japan in the 19th century. Early katsuretsu was usually beef; the pork version was invented in Japan in 1899 at a restaurant called Rengatei in Tokyo.[1][[2]]
(Tonkatsu - Wikipedia)[3] It was originally considered a type of yōshoku — Japanese versions of European cuisine invented in the late 19th and early 20th centuries—and was called katsuretsu or simply katsu.[4]

But I tend to believe the Japanese edit more, so I’ll defer to you until we can get a real culinary historian to confirm.

1 Like

Huh. A good example of why Wikipedia cannot always be trusted. I am not able to verify the [1] and [2] citations.

To get back to the topic at hand, Tonkatsu is definitely at least as “traditional” as gyu-katsu and definitely much more so than chicken katsu. I would love to try Chef Schlosser’s (or Chef @JLee’s!) tonkatsu.

More on tonkatsu:
Most people on this board are fans of Kagura, but my personal favorite is Komatsu. Their Hamburg Steak with demi glace is also :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face:.

7 Likes

Never heard of komatsu will have to give that one a try!

2 Likes

I must have past by there at least 50 times since I was a kid to adult. I think because Carson x Western/Cravens gets all the attention.

1 Like

Makes this statement after posting 2 Wikipedia articles

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on Komatsu, I love a good hamburg steak!

2 Likes

That’s a great beer! Unagi don boxes looks sold out already.

They mentioned in the comments the eel will be added on Thursday.

1 Like

Ah, I see. I thought first pickup was on Thursday.

live eel now live @J_L. $36.

3 Likes

Thanks, PB! Saw that. Gonna pass for now unless someone reports back amazingness.

1 Like

eel bento, grilled live eel, rice, house pickles
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200821180009812_COVER

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200821180210915_COVER

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200821180235287_COVER

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200821180215484_COVER

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200821180241225_COVER

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200821180548743_COVER

10 Likes

How is it?

No words. Uh-oh. (?)

3 Likes

had to do my due diligence and ask :rofl:

2 Likes

It was okay, the eel could have been fattier and I needed some sansho powder. Not sure if they forgot it or if it was intentionally omitted. Rice was good as before.

Chicken katsu is still the one to get.

5 Likes