Shibumi DTLA

agree with @T3t this wasn’t as good as the previous menu, the sashimi and nikogori were just okay, but everything else was great and overall still a really solid meal. the rice course with rice from iwate prefecture was next-level and insanely good, some of the best austere rice I’ve had in awhile. the pickles, pork and unagi were the perfect complement for the rice.

I also really liked the kinki tempura and thought it was better than current iteration of the inaba tempura counter.

chinmi - 18 month aged shiitake mushroom, 3 month aged hokkaido scallop in koji

chilled corn soup, fresh yuba, puffed rice

sashimi - karei, japanese flounder, tomato, shiso leaf, flower

nikogori, shrimp, abalone, cucumber and okra served in gelee

fresh edamame tofu

tempura - thornyhead kinki fish, high mineral salt, lime

iron pot rice - house made tsukemono, grilled unagi eel, fresh wasabi, grilled kurobuta pork ribeye

dashi broth, fish dumpling

not sakura mochi
aka apricot seed custard, white nectarines

not sakura mochi
aka (r)ice cream, fresh amazake, rice cracker

not sakura mochi
aka kohakuto

8 Likes

Hey, at least you got the kohakuto! Looks like almost the exact same menu we had (different chinmi and you got pork instead of minced wagyu w/mushrooms), otherwise.

1 Like

this is one of the most underrated restaurants in la and must have one of the lowest yelp ratings (3.5 stars) out of any michelin starred restaurant. i think if the chef wasn’t gaijin this place would be a lot more popular. the rice course is one of the best in the city.
however, i will say, i think your experience is very sergio dependant.

mini pancake stuffed with miso and walnuts, recipe circa 1718

giant clam and squid sashimi, shaved celery, kimizu

smoked japanese katsuo

fuyu persimmon, chestnuts, whipped tofu

(supplement) olive wagyu

chrysanthemum daikon

shirasu tempura

iron pot rice, tsukemono

unagi, sancho pepper, fresh wasabi

(supplement) grilled kurobuta pork rib eye, grilled leeks

ginga no shizuku (iwate, japan)

smoked dashi broth with mushrooms

koji (r)ice cream, fresh amazake, rice pearls

japanese chizu keki

11 Likes

No sakura mochi?

11 Likes

While I understand your extraordinary enthusiasm and support for the other dessert, it is completely inappropriate to lump them together in this discussion, whether here or on other social media platforms. Not to mention they are two completely different desserts. And it makes me legitimately wonder why the need to compare or inject them at every turn, rather than let my review of one establishment stand. It comes across as putting down shibumi when you do that, and make me further wonder if there are other intentions beyond that enthusiasm.

12 Likes

That looks insanely good. Which meal was that? And how was the olive wagyu? I’m intrigued by the concept.

1 Like

i got the “taisho’s meal” and supplemented the grilled kurobuta pork rib eye and olive wagyu because i’m a glutton. the raw olive wagyu was like toro but with a nice pleasant chew. standouts from the meal were the katsuo, wagyu, shirasu tempura, and the excellent rice course with iwate rice, so good :heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart:
i don’t know of another restaurant in la serving this type of kappo cuisine.

7 Likes

Just got back from dinner at Shibumi and I have to say my mind is blown. Super impressed! I’ve been before back in 2018 but the Shibumi of today is a different animal and I am so happy I’ve gone back.

I had the Taisho meal like PorkyBelly and everything is the same as what PorkyBelly got. Loved almost every course; the shirasu tempura was just alright for me. I also got the Chinmi add on. My friend and I got an order of 2 and 3 and ended up with a combined plate of 5 selections which was unique and fun to try. Cool stuff.

I don’t know if this topic has been addressed but I think Shibumi has a very very strong sake program. My friend got the sake pairing and it had some great stuff! Yoshidagura U, Senkin Classic, warmed Kamoizumi Red Maple, and Tamagawa Time Machine along with another I can’t remember. I also saw someone served the Kojimaya Untitled which I think is pretty new down here. Really really impressed with the selection here, though a great deal seemed like it was off-menu. The staff were also A+ and service was outstanding. Super knowledgeable about sake. Also seems like a good whiskey selection though I say this more on my friend’s reaction as I’m not really a whiskey person.

Agree with Porky that this place is extremely underrated right now. I think if I ever want an awesome meal with an amazing sake selection (including off-menu stuff), my pick will be Shibumi. I couldn’t believe reservations are so easy too! (though maybe this is because all the other places I’ve been looking at require a month in advance)

5 Likes

hi @Bagel

nice report. do you remember which chinmi you got? what were your favorites? thanks.

From top left, clockwise:

Mushroom
Uni
Scallop
Red tofu
Lobster

I believe they were aged 3-8 months, mostly with sake, shoyu, mirin and salt I think? My notes only went as far as the primary ingredient.

Personally I enjoyed the lighter ones more which were mushroom and red tofu. The mushroom was sweet while the tofu had more of a cheesy creamy texture. Uni and lobster were very strong flavors, the taste of the lobster I think lasting a particularly long time.

4 Likes

winter menu

warrior: It seems like they’re trying to make you go four times to get everything. If you order B, C, or D: No soup for you!

B, C, and D all include everything in A, but is there any soup on that new menu?

warrior: i think the words “ikkyu’s meal only” mean those things aren’t included in the other meals. so there are three items on the cheapest set menu that you can only get if you choose that menu (including the chrysanthemum soup). that said, a japanese meal without soup at the end is unimaginable, so that may be a mistake.

soup is included with the rice course

Oh, I see. What they mean is “includes A except …”

Warrior: I can confirm: no soup with any meal but ikkyu’s.

Peony: The food at Shibumi has really elevated post-Covid. I’m glad they sustained the level and keep on renewing the menu. Again, I enjoyed all the finely made dishes tonight. I particularly liked the chinmi and the super-tender and delicate black cod. I look forward to visiting again when they change the menu. Also, their service has always been friendly and attentive. That makes the experience more enjoyable.

6 Likes

sakura mochi back on the menu, come and get it at a real japanese restaurant that understands japanese cuisine.

also, goose and foie gras

9 Likes

Snark aside, the menu does look appealing…

1 Like

I’ll do that goose menu if I get to LA before he drops it.