Shoji at 69 Leonard - Tribeca

Had been planning a long overdue dine-in visit… alas this will do for now.

The Saba Bozushi (Kyoto-style?) was a highlight, especially the rice. Nice firm grains and not clumped together. As you can see in the picture each individual grain almost looks like its floating in unison. Nicely seasoned with chives and ginger too. Excellent!

7 Likes

Cool!

Very surprised that they are not selling beverage like sake by the bottle at least from their website, to go, to help increase their bottom line, that is allowed and done by restaurants in California (so long as food is purchased together). Is this not allowed in NY state?

Yes they’re all doing it. For Shoji you place the beverage order over the phone.

Looking at that picture was bittersweet as Shoji was my last pre-pandemic meal right before the shutdown. People were just starting to get scared and business was off, which was why they squeezed me in at the last minute after initially saying no.

Being able to dine like that now seems like a dream from a different world.

I hear you. The Japanese food scene in the city has really been on fire the last two years across various genres with more in the pipeline too. The one I was really looking forward to this year was Yoshino which was literally weeks away from opening before the shutdowns were instituted.

Sigh…

@PorkyBelly Aburi Sanma bozushi served with sanma liver sauce and sliced sudachi

Nice Kasutera tamago

5 Likes

how was the shari and neta to shari ratio?

Good ratio. Only complaint today - shari a bit too wet. Prior order shari had better moisture level.

Legit Gaijin!

2 Likes

RIP Shoji. Long live Shion.