Showcasing what's left of old school Cantonese in Hong Kong

Oh wow look what I found, CC @JLee

No English subtitles, but this video breaks down those ethereal / unicorn cuts of CBB for us.

So let’s see if I got this straight from a quick dive on the net…

Beef brisket (ngau lahm 牛腩) - or that giant section labeled as “Plate”

坑腩 (Hahng lahm) - boneless short rib, the most intense flavor. Supposedly about the 8th rib away from the breast(?).

爽腩 Song lahm - also known as bung sa lahm 崩沙腩 - skirt steak. Though I really don’t know if that’s even the right translation. It’s supposed to be the section of brisket or plate closest to the beef belly skin (hence the connective tissue layer). The Sergio at Kwun Kee does explain the importance of cleaver cutting…that connective layer at the top needs to be included, else if it is just meat the mouthfeel would be lacking.

Apparently this is what they look like when cooked and cut up but I wonder if the middle and right cuts are from the same section just slightly different subsections:

Yung Kee’s rendition starting around the 3:24 mark . That broth looks wicked.

4 Likes

You’ll need someone with a particular set of skills… (and by that, I mean an endless gullet.)

帶我去, dude! (Take me with you!)

1 Like

I want to go on a food tour with beefnoguy in Hong Kong. Can we also stop by Taiwan and Japan too?

3 Likes

New video with Chinese and English subtitles!

Keung Kee Roast Meats in Wanchai, quite a very accessible and local legend and very well respected by blue collar gourmets, and their slow fire stewed soups are super comforting

Sergio reveals some techniques and ingredients with his char siu, roast goose, and soy sauce chicken. I like his style.

@JLee @J_L @moonboy403 @Chowseeker1999 @Sgee @blimpbinge @NYCtoLA @attran99 @hungryhungryhippos

8 Likes

Much heart and respect.

1 Like

One of the few places I’ve seen it at is DFC:

mpk:
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/delicious-food-corner-monterey-park-monterey-park?select=OhSb9EwvOFD2AP6i87Umjw

sg:
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/delicious-food-corner-san-gabriel-san-gabriel-3?select=Cgk6ebs2CM_vitCTuJ8TpA

or Ok cafe:
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/ok-cafe-monterey-park-4?select=dsXhxCJOaxgYpjwYpaCTQw

Or the noodle-less version at bei fung tong locations (seafood village/palace)… which. i guess are all gone now?

I’ll keep a look out

1 Like

really miss trekking out to hk island from jordan/tst area for kau kei n then snack on sing heung yuen right after, then walk it off or drag my stuffed body back to nap before coming out to eat again…

I wonder if we’ll get any transplants in the area after all that ruckus over there

There’s a version at Tang Gong in MP made with short ribs

Ahh…That OG dai pai dong tomato based instant noodz with canned twice cooked pork

1 Like

The next video with English and Chinese subtitles (we’re on a roll here!!) features the legendary Wing Hap Lung in Prince Edward Kowloon side, very close to one of the MTR stations. They are very famous for crispy skin roast pork (siu yuk)…they literally roast the whole pig, unlike over here where only one section of the pork belly is roasted. On top of that, they do it the old school way, hand turned, and roasted over charcoal…not many places left in HK that do this.

Sergio senior is no longer working there, and left the business to his two sons, one of them essentially lamenting there is no one in the next generation to take over…

Makes you want to hit up Ruby BBQ I suppose after watching this…

4 Likes

Like what happened in Vancouver, 1997? Happened again last year.

The U.S. is now a less attractive as a diaspora destination, compared to Canada.

One of my aunties there says that a three bedroom, three bathroom in West Vancouver now costs as much as Central Park East.

3 Likes

I love/hate the grumpiness and complaining manner of most of all of these chefs. It’s so old school Cantonese, no matter what happens always complain and always have some sort of comment :joy:.

2 Likes

Where is the first picture from?

It’s the no nonsense character/nature reflecting back, along with so many years of putting in the hard work that shaped him as well as the environment that’s super tough, and in a part of the world that’s unstable, unpredictable, divided, yet the food culture is falling apart over time, fewer people truly appreciate tradition. There’s an old school blue collar charm that’s actually very down to earth and genuine in his grumpy tone for sure if you can see through all the nuanced layers of his figures of speech. There is also implicit resilience in his tone, as well as passion, dedication. He does toot his own horn, but who else would do it for him, haha.

I’d love to buy this dude a beer and hear some more of his stories. Sounds like he’ll need some Dai Pai Dong stir fry bribery for more of his thoughts!

2 Likes

Watched this one about underground oven sui yuk. Apparently there’s only one underground oven roaster left they use firewood and charcoal as opposed to gas

Gotta find out where they sell it!

5 Likes

So many old school artisans, many with no apprentices currently who are willing to take on the mantle for the next generation… This food history is culture itself, and needs to be preserved and practiced.

3 Likes

Thanks for this! Might have to try a smaller version of this using my pit barrel cooker.

1 Like

Google Fu and memory reveals the following of the place that roasts the pigs in the pit, and one of the restaurants they provide to (belonging to the same group):

and the Cantonese blog in Chinese that details this feast

OK if we do a group tour someday, I’ll need a large crew of you all to help out. Not sure how to book a tour or viewing of the roast but probably not something too difficult to do, if they allow it. This is serious stuff!

2 Likes

Show us the results!

Not old school Cantonese per se but definitely Hong Kong style

Chiu Chow style marinated beef brisket, egg, and cheese sandwich (bread is grilled with butter first). Chow Yun Fat is a huge fan. Chiu Chow brisket cheese melt? If only they had Langer’s rye…

4 Likes

Damn too bad we don’t have that in SGV/Bay Area HK cafes. I can see how that works so perfect.

How about some Ming Kee Char Siu, go over to Tak Kee Lee put it in a egg sandwich. Or go to Pineapple King and stuff it in a bolo bao.

I am loving these videos btw

1 Like