Shunji - OOE Omakase

AKA poring over the ABCs with a bot.

1 Like

Get off my porch, you young whippersnappers! ;-D

4 Likes

:grimacing: five minute walk from home. This could get ugly…

3 Likes
3 Likes

Can’t wait.
giphy

3 Likes

nice preview from @chrishei

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUk9HS8vkgm/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUk_SZVParE/

6 Likes

FTFY: nice preview from Great Eater @chrishei

6 Likes

FTFY: nice preview from Great Eater and fitness model @chrishei

5 Likes

In case people don’t click through (or read the entire post), reservations for the soft opening(?) are available on Tock, and there are still seats available for relatively premium timeslots. $150/head (I can only assume the price will go up later) $250/head, which is hidden below the fold (I totally didn’t even expand the description, though it should probably be a bit more clear…).

If anyone else is going, I’ll be there on the 15th14th at 7:45 with a friend. I’ll try to remember to wear my FTC shirt - say hi!

3 Likes

The deposit is 150, omakase is 250.

1 Like

Thanks, fixed. Given the recent price inflation it still somehow doesn’t feel outrageous, though we’ll see how it compares to Kaneyoshi (accepting that they’ll be quite different stylistically in any case).

1 Like

My review is forthcoming… Chris, CiaoBob and I had a great time.

4 Likes

@PorkyBelly @hppzz :sweat_smile: :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

some of the huge :heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart:

• ankimo
  • aori ika
  • kawahagi
  • masu
  • aji
  • burrito al pastor

reserved seat for Brandon’s flowers

white ash live edge counter from germany

uni, caviar, quail egg, mountain yam

shigoku oyster, ponzu

crab tamago/chawanmushi

to-go container 1

to-go container 2

thanks for sharing @NYCtoLA

ebi shinjo

hirame, engawa

sawara

katsuo, nori

ankimo

duck breast

beautiful ohitsu

tai

kurodai

itoyori dai

kanpach

aori ika

kawahagi, kimo

maguro

kamasu

masu

chu toro

ezgif.com-gif-maker (41)

otoro

buri

ikura

botan ebi, karasumi

uni

toro temaki

anago

tamago

enoki

shima aji

aji

hochija ice cream, grapes, pear

thank you Yoshi-san for the flowers :sweat_smile:

no toto

brothers cousins tacos

al pastor burrito

al pastor, carne asada, chorizo tacos

20 Likes

Look at you two! :heart::blush::heart:

3 Likes

How many people ate that?

Killer.

4 Likes

Had what looks like a pretty similar meal to @PorkyBelly tonight with a friend, though a couple pieces of fish were different, and there were a few additional non-sushi courses (Shunji-san said near the end that he’d served a few extra experimental dishes tonight in preparation for his upcoming “official” opening in a couple weeks). We didn’t get an oyster though. There was crab w/kanimiso (right after the katsuo), steamed abalone w/rice & liver sauce (the steamed abalone was definitely a highlight, incredible texture), and uni rice w/shirako (very minerally, in a surprisingly pleasant way). The enoki miso soup also had fried tofu in it - interesting but didn’t feel totally cohesive (probably the single whiff of the night).

For me, the highlights were:
ebi shinjo (loved the hint of citrus)
katsuo, nori (incredible texture)
abalone (texture, again, just incredible)
maguro (possibly the best piece of “just tuna” I’ve ever had; at first I thought I was eating chutoro)
chutoro (which made it clear the previous piece was not, in fact, chutoro. the bite on this was insane)
shima aji (i’m a sucker for it but it was real good)
ikura (until today the best ikura I’d ever had was the one time I had lunch at Shunji’s old spot; that wasn’t a fluke)
tamago (king)

hochija ice cream (very little sugar. i would pay dumb money for pints of this)

Honestly it was a bit too much food for me but if I go back to the gym I should be fine next time (and a couple courses will probably get dropped as the “experiments” either flunk or graduate). I think overall I might give the slightest edge to Kaneyoshi on sheer technical perfection and the rice working better with all the neta (the rice here was excellent but it was definitely noticeable that it played better with some fish than with others) but I would absolutely come back and feel fortunate to be spoiled with a wealth of choices.

10 Likes

A bang bang with Kaneyoshi would have been perfect

4 Likes