2 Likes

Very good

2 Likes

@TheCookie

You plan on doing the lunch here?

Oh yes

where ?

shunji

if that’s what yo talking about then go for the 12 pieces, and then add bonus pieces like 4 o 5, desserts and sake are good too.

1 Like

Going to lunch today. Made a reservation just an FYI the lunch special is up to 47 now.

1 Like

wtfff they made it 47 now???

Lunch was still really tasty even adding the additional 7 pp. Don’t want to go over the meal because I didn’t take photos and everything has basically been coveredNothing that has not been covered, Shunji-san was polite and conversational, not overly talkative but answered all our questions.

Outside of the 12 standard pieces (pretty similar to what @JeetKuneBao got, didn’t get flying fish or young yellowtail) , we also got three overtime pieces which included icefish, japanese baracuda, and needle fish. I asked for a really unique or different fish and Shunji-san gave us ice fish, which were small slippery little fishes that looked eel like or worm like but tasted like crunch noodles with a briny fish finish, definitely very good. Japanese baracuda was meaty and smoky from the torch, needle fish was white and slightly firm not as memorable but still good.

We greatly enjoyed our lunch. Go try it

7 Likes

What is the secret to getting all of the rare and unusual fish varietals here?

I went for the lunch and had a lot of similar white fish. I guess I am just entering sushi world, but if this is the height of sushi, I guess perhaps it is not for me. :confused:

My lunch didn’t have any pieces getting torch work, or additional saucing or anything either. It was quite an austere affair.

I feel like the cut of this piece was super weird :confused:

This was like beltfish or something odd, the most interesting piece I had. I recall it being my favorite in terms of uniquness of texture and savory flavors, and it looked pretty awesome as well.

I believe this was sea bream, which was also a highlight at least, seriously great bream.

This is the famous bluefin otoro right? Easy to see why everyone has been eating the shit of this stuff, kind of like fish-wagyu.

The crab roll was awesome, as promised, though. Who would refuse this??

Wish they had warned me about how extremely hot the miso soup was, though :confused:

Guess I should’ve taken more notes haha I sadly can’t remember what all of them were.

The lime ice cream is really good as a meal closer, however.

Not really terrible overall, $65 after tax/tip. Felt pretty full after just the 12 pcs at lunch time.

The rice was perhaps not to my taste. Do other places use smaller grain rice or is this basically the standard for high-end sushi rice?

If I go to other places, can I request more “weird” fishes somehow? Or is sushi just too subtle for me?

That’s where you went astray.

Go for dinner.

Shunji is out of town til 6/10.

This is how good sushi rice is suppose to be. The rice is everything!!!

1 Like

But didn’t everyone else in this thread also go for lunch? :confused:

Ah, perhaps sushi just isn’t for me then. Appreciate the info!

Or he can say, “Shunji-san, weird fish omakase, shitsurei shimasu.”

1 Like

Wow - $125 is 8 to 10 lunches for me.

You and I live in entirely different spaces of the L.A. restaurant universe.

nah. you might just like a different kind of sushi.

Some people want subtle, some want sledgehammers. Some like their rice sticky and glutinous, some more loosely packed.

A lot of people will tell you “well, GOOD sushi…” and “it’s bad sushi if…” but frankly, as long as the fish isn’t spoiled and you like to eat it, it’s good sushi. or mac and cheese, or wine, or any other thing where artificial lines are drawn between high and low, special and common.

The advice and notes you see here are amazing. They are the product (mostly) of very knowledgeable people sharing their experiences. But the experience they’ve gone looking for may not be your thing. That’s ok. Folks here rave about boat noodle soup with the extra tripe and intestines and other squidgy bits. know what? I hate that shit. So you know what? I don’t eat it.

If you really like the super saiyan dynamite roll with the tempura crunch bits, go for it! rave about the interplay of the sriracha-infused mayo playing with the delicate pop of the tobiko. personally, a crunchy rock’n’roll (unagi and avocado with tempura crunches on it) is one of my favorite things. Won’t find it at any serious omakase place, but so what?

I had a sushi burrito for lunch. an uncut roll with tuna, salmon, fake crab, tobiko, mayo, lettuce. it was delicious.it was satisfying. it was $7.50 Canadian.

Don’t let anyone yuck your yum.

6 Likes

And here I thought it was the fish.

Guess it really doesn’t matter what they label the fish. What a relief.

And now, may the thread about sushi rice and uruchimai varietals commence…

You mean the post titled “Mislabeled uruchimai at LA’s high-end sushi restaurants”?

It can be about the fish. At least if going the way it was written with historic context.

Sushi is written as 鮨 in Kanji. 魚 (fish) 旨 (delicious).

It is also written as 鮓, 魚 (fish) 乍 (vinegar or curing). In pre edo period, it was about placing fish in layers of rice and then letting it ferment (funazushi). Then the variants of fermenting fish with rice stuffed inside (the rice is not eaten though).

No mention of rice in kanji. :thinking:

I had a lot of white fish when I went, but they had different flavors and textures, and each fish was seasoned differently so as to highlight the differences.