Side Chick ETA?

@JLee Great, thanks. In better shape to travel today.

Delicious, sorry about the picture, ate a lot of it already. “HK chicken noodle soup” Roast chicken on egg noodles in a 24 hr chicken stock with scallions and steamed green veggies @eatsidechick

6 Likes

eater write up, not gonna lie now I want some.

7 Likes

Some Eater love. Can’t wait to try this.

3 Likes

Whoa (Keanu Reeves voice)

Same post at the same time.

That is some Yoda-Gandalf-Dumbledore level sh1t

5 Likes

I finally got a chance to try it over the weekend - ordered the poached and roast chicken (disclaimer: got it to go). Overall positive experience… I preferred the poached chicken. Someone forgot to chop my roast chicken, and a touch dry, could be a result of having it to go. Scallion/Ginger and chili sauces were on point.

@JLee may I boldly suggest offering a “special edition” version ala pic below? There wasn’t enough sauce for the chicken and no fried onions over the rice please.

4 Likes

“the country’s best Hainanese chicken and rice”

Umm so this is a fact now or what?

I had some friends from hk try it over the weekend and they said it was just ok, so I’m not exactly dying to try it.

What’s the verdict from people from Singapore/hk/canton?

Well… The article makes it seem wonderful.

Excuse my ignorance, but do people from HK necessarily know what’s it supposed to taste like?

The last couple times I was in HK I don’t remember a ton of chicken rice but I was admittedly seeking out different dishes…

1 Like

Not sure if that’s a trick question or what?

The dish is a southern chinese dish, there are numerous variations of chicken and chicken rice in hk/southern china, and the standard (of chicken dishes in general) is high all over southern china. I’ll trust my well traveled hk friends over a bunch of asian americans that grew up on savoy and a handful of chinese viet places.

jlee has never been to singapore, should we apply your logic there as well?

Meet Hainan chickens more roastier and darker cousin. Coming soon to a @eatsidechick near you

A photo posted by Johnny Lee (@senor_chicken) on Aug 24, 2016 at 8:09pm PDT

Thats why i’m asking for more opinions before i go brave the lines.

I’ve been to Side Chick a couple of times. Not a Hainanese culinary expert, or even a Hainan Chicken Rice aficionado, but I will say the major difference between Lee’s approach and, say, what you’d find at places like Savoy is the texture of the white meat.

Lee’s chicken tastes of being “sous vide” (and, yes, I know it is not) whereas Savoy’s tastes like it’s just been boiled. Personally, I’m not a fan of the texture of sous vide chicken meat, too similar to mochi or boba balls. I prefer a bit more textured chew that boiled chicken provides.

No need to get upset and no trick question. There was no malice in my comment, though after re-reading it I can understand how it may be perceived as a bit snarky.

I was genuinely curious how much culinary overlap there was between Hong Kong and Hainan. For instance, I wouldn’t necessarily trust my Texas friends’ opinions on certain Mexican foods, say Nayarit style seafood, just as I wouldn’t expect that they value my opinion on Tex Mex or brisket.

I was just curious about the regional cuisines of China and their interplay…

1 Like

Sorry, didn’t mean to get heated, I replied to your message without explaining my position first.

I’m just curious to see the if the media hype * ahem eaterla *, which seems to be inconstant overdrive, matches the shop itself. I have yet to try, and will go soon once I get there early enough to beat the lines/crowds in that part of the mall.

Will most likely go there and chop chop on the same day/weekend.

2 Likes

Thank you for the detail

Canto folks don’t really eat Hainan Chicken Rice (Singapore style), we do eat White Cut Chicken (skin on bone in slight pink okay) with ginger-scallion. Not really a stand alone plate of food like Singapore.

The chicken fat rice with the 3 sauces is something the Singapore Chinese made/invented.

Hainan Chicken Rice is just a variation of White Cut Chicken. If you went to Hainan, China you probably won’t see those 3 sauces.

4 Likes

Very interesting, thanks for this!

1 Like

[quote=“ipsedixit, post:31, topic:4143”]
tastes like it’s just been boiled.
[/quote]When you write boiled do you mean it is cooked in a pot of water or literally boiled? Because boiling a chicken toughens an already dense meat. I do a slow method, posted by a Chowhounder - “Frugal Gourmet Boiled Chicken, Chinese-style”.

[quote=“blimpbinge, post:30, topic:4143”]
I’ll trust my well traveled hk friends over a bunch of asian americans that grew up on savoy
[/quote]I’m not an expert or anything. But are people from Hong Kong experts on a dish predominately eaten in Singapore?

1 Like

hkers/canto people eat similar chicken dishes and would have a better understanding of where the quality level should be. See jeetkunebao’s post for more details.

This Singaporean delicacy you speak of - the one with HK experts on a dish - Is it on the menu at The Cannibal?

1 Like