Simpang or other Malaysian/Indonesian

Are you guys seriously talking about a place in Tustin? I might as well go to Malaysia

1 Like

You probably didn’t notice that @JeetKuneBao has been making trips to the OC for Vietnamese food very regularly.

2 Likes

Make it worth your time and hit up Cream Pan Bakery and Kean Coffee

Belacan is not wondrous, but not a horrible stop if you’re in the area and want something more than fast food or a deli. Their CKT is a disaster with chicken breast.

The best down home Malay grub IMHO is in Anaheim at Seasons Kitchen. I like to go on the weekends as they have boxes of kuih lapis, ondeh ondeh, seri muka and the like. There’s always cute kids playing music too. The bak kut teh, nasi goreng, nasi lemak, CKT, and char siu are all good. It’s worth the special trip.

My local is QQ Kopitiam which is only open until 7pm and the owners have no interest opening on the weekends or catering. The couple is from Sing and Indo. The CKT is super legit, maybe as good as some of the better places in Penang and Sing. And their egg gravy is terrific. They make their own sambal. Folks complain their skimpy with it, but I don’t blame them. They’re happy to give you more if you just ask. But the Hainan Chicken is better at Cluck2Go down the street.

3 Likes

OMG. There’s a Peranakan place opening in Palms?!?

Friends flew in last week and cooked an amazing Nonya spread (took them all week). I thought, “There’s no where to eat at this depth in L.A.”

The place in Palms couldn’t open soon enough!

Great info - will let my wife know. Thank you!

probably.

I like Seasons! I like their roast pork and char siu

Indeed.

If you’ve been to Seasons, probably no need for Belacan unless you want table service and you’re in the area.

I ate there in 2012 so this is an old report but I thought it flat out sucked. Never went back. It’s been a long time so I can’t recall the specifics, but I remember being markedly dissatisfied. It was when I first moved to OC from west LA so I was definitely comparing it to Ramayani and (my favorite) Simpang, and it fell WAY short of those.

This? Hmmm Indo Peranakan. Their insta is a bit all over the map … don’t see any authentic peranakan dishes. MEE & greet (@meeandgreet) • Instagram photos and videos

True, but I’m eager to try anything new resembling food from the Straits…

First restaurant for us since early March! Good times. Beef dangs was awesome and the dessert was out of this world

People are out!

14 Likes

I agree Seasons is prob the best Malay in LA region. They deliver twice a week to your doorstep if you reach out to them and order min $40.
My fave Indo is Wong Java in SG, even through ownership changes.

1 Like

Simpang has opened a branch in Venice, it is in the same mini-mall as Camp Pho (Lincoln @ Vernon). Not yet tried it.

2 Likes

It’s good. Similar offerings as their National Blvd. location.

1 Like