Single at the Bar eating dtla tonight (Friday)?

I will be coming from the Westside and going to Mark Taper tonight. I’ll be taking a big blue bus, and am happy to walk from restaurant to Music Center. Is there any place I should be looking at for convivial atmosphere, and food? My ideal is to get downtown by 5:30 or so, so I can wander around a little.

I’ll be by myself, so that’s why I thought eating at the bar would be nice, but it’s not a deal breaker.

I’m allergic to shellfish. I’ve eaten at Blue Cow numerous times–any ideas?

Otium’s bar. It’s even closer to the Music Center than Blue Cow.

Or Redbird.

Depends on how much you enjoy looking at a huge wall of liquor.

Nick and Stef’s.

Or, Bestia, then Uber it to the Taper.

Bestia. Check with the front desk upon arrival. If the main bar is packed, they also have a small bar by the pizza oven as well.

Noe at The Omni Hotel (by MOCA) offers the full restaurant menu at the bar. They are open for business at your specified time.

Website (with links to menu) here: http://www.noerestaurant.com/losangeles/default.html

Would Redwood Bar be too casual?

redbird
broken spanish
little sister
bestia

Seriously? Bestia at 5:30 p.m. on a Friday night? My attempts to dine at the bar there are usually failures.

My favorite place to dine at the bar in DTLA is Drago Centro. The reason is that Drago Centro is my favorite restaurant in DTLA. There are lots of other good choices: Q Sushi, Redbird, and Water Grill come to mind. The bar at Redbird is particularly fabulous.

Thank you for the suggestions! I ended up at Broken Spanish (Bestia was a close second, but I wasn’t sure how to get there without a bus transfer.)

I got off the Big Blue Bus at Olive and Olympic, and had a quick walk to the restaurant. I got there a little after six, the bar was mostly empty. I had a
mariachigroni (mezcal, hibiscus infused aperitivo, bitter truth extract)
tostada (Marina di Chiogga, Cauliflower Escabeche, Pomegranate, Chile Cascabel)
tamal (lamb neck, king oyster mushroom, quiso oaxaca)

All was very good, service very solid. I’d return happily. After the food and drink were eaten and drained, I walked the 30 minutes or so up to the Music Center. Really lovely LA evening. (I saw The Christians at Mark Taper, also excellent, and the last 10 minutes or so are crushingly beautiful.)
http://imgur.com/cPSbMKC

3 Likes