'Skinny' Chickens - similar to Poulet Rouge, Bresse

Does anyone carry ‘skinny’ chickens ala poulet rouge, bresse locally? I like the poulet rouge from Joyce farms in North Carolina but shipping charges are :sob:

The one from Joyce farms looks very similar to this, characterized by a slender body and smaller breast compared what you find regularly

(pre-processing)

vs Mary’s chicken (note the much larger breast)

vs poulet bresse

2 Likes

The Trader Joe’s heirloom chicken is the chicken that reminds me most of what you get in Europe flavor wise anyway

1 Like

Thanks @robert alas all require shipping

@aaqjr I don’t think I’ve ever seen this at TJ, granted have not visited one locally in over a year. Does have that characteristic slender look, at least post cooking from becomebetty

I don’t think it’s the same breed as the French but it’s not one of the large breasted varieties that’s for sure. It has a much more chicken-y flavor than most of what you find.

You could contact the farms and ask if there’s anyone who sells their chickens retail in LA.

The brown chickens at 99 ranch market are really skinny, but maybe too skinny?

2 Likes

I too love Joyce Farms, but the shipping is often more than the birds. Its cheaper in winter, but still ridiculous. Have you tried Jidori chickens? Pavilions often carries them. I don’t like them as much as the Poulet Rouge, but they are tasty and not as huge as Mary’s.

1 Like

I second @aaqjr rec of Trader Joe’s heirloom chix. Definitely like you are describing: slender, more chicken-y.

3 Likes

Jidori don’t seem skinny to me. That brand’s about getting the chickens to market ASAP after slaughter so they still have rigor mortis.

@savvysearch It’s been a while but had been a go to chicken back in the day. Definitely on the skinnier and tastier spectrum of chickens. Besides ranch 99 I used to purchase from Peking poultry (next door to PRD, Howling Ray), found them a touch fresher. Need to revisit.

@ebethsdad Yeah shipping is :face_vomiting: @ Joyce. Hopefully someone locally decides to carry them. I’ve tried Jidori, tasty but more along the lines of more conventional chicken variety.

1 Like

PRD gets all their chickens from WingLee in rosemead. I would definately revisit the fresh poultry spots around town.

1 Like

Tonight we had a really good pastured chicken from Gelsons. It was prepared with my son’s cooking class compound butter. For what it was worth I have had Poulet de Brussels and truthfully it wasn’t that different. You just need a pastured bird, reasonable breed, prepared French style with a lot of butter.

1 Like

?

Maison Lienard has incredibly good roast chicken.

2 Likes