Skirt steak - what markets?

Now that makes sense – I had no idea that some or much of the “flap meat” that has become so ubiquitous is skirt that has been butterflied. Now the problem is finding it at decent prices since so many grocery stores now get their beef prepackaged and don’t cut many cuts in store.

Like I said, the Costco butcher was going to sell to me at a decent price, I can not remember but it was too much meat just for me, need to split a bag.

Have you tried Catalina’s Market? On Western?

An Argentinian market that has just reopened, they have gotten really nice reviews for their meats.

1 Like

Mi Tienda Meats, 1209 Cypress Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90065 323.223.5873

Has anyone seen skirt @ a local Costco? I got a guy that says he gets skirt @ Costco with regularity, but his Costco is in Atlanta…

Referring to Costco branded retail packaging in the styrofoam containers, not the pre-packaged RYC branded arrachera.

I have seen marinated skirt at Costco called “arrachera” in stores before. But it was unbearably salty from the sample I had, so I cannot recommend it.

Never seen it in their non marinated section.

thanks, guy is claiming that the skirt is the Costco branded stuff in styrofoam - like you, I’ve never seen it. I did notice that costco business will mail me ~9.5 pounds of skirt for the low low price of $6.75/lb.

Sprouts has skirt consistently at around $8/lb but they butterfly it. I am fairly certain you can buy them untreated.

:scream:

Gelson’s doesn’t butterfly their skirt, but they also charge $18/lb for it…

:scream:

I would just be extra careful if you see something marked ‘arrachera’ that you ask and make sure you aren’t getting flap meat or another cut. Skirt is becoming much harder to find unfortunately. If you know someone with a restaurant depot care that is the surest route but you are committing to a large quantity un trimmed

Same. I live nearby and usually go to Marconda’s for my butchery needs. I get there early on the weekends (which is also an excuse to have one or two sugar raised at Bob’s Donuts) and I make sure to park in the lot over by The Container Store rather than by the Market itself. Validate my ticket and use the easy unmanned exit on Fairfax to get out. It’s a regular ritual!

1 Like

exactly—that’s the pro tip! Easy in/easy out. (before they closed, I would p/u a cheddar/bacon croissant @ Short Cake as my b’fast “excuse”)

1 Like

Sprouts has a great meat department. If you call them and ask them to set you aside the meat whole instead of butterflied, they will do it for you. They will cut or not cut meat to customer specification.

This is awesome to know.

Yep. And their meat is great quality too!

When they put rib-eyes one sale, I have them cut me a 2.5-3" piece. Seared and thrown in the oven to finish off – so good!

sorry I’ve never done this before, so I can go up to the meat dept tonight at say, 7p and ask for skirt, non-butterflied? Or is typically a call in advance and talk to the meat department, then go pick it up kind of deal?

It’s going to depend on your local store. At my store, the meat cutters leave around 4-5pm, so you have to catch them earlier in the day. Plus you have to catch them before they cut up what they got in.

Your best bet is to call your local store and ask “if I want to get a skirt steak, but want you to leave it whole, when could I get that?” They may have some on hand that haven’t been cut yet, or tell you they’ve all been cut up but they will have a new shipment in tomorrow morning and they will save one for you.

3 Likes

Sprouts has been a great new find for me the last couple (is it longer than that?) since the Westwood store opened. I buy cluster tomatoes, and their’s are almost always a buck or less. I really like their sandwiches – though only basic toppings, they are satisfying and only $3.99, plus 50 cents for cheese. And their gorgeous boneless ribeyes, very thick in the butcher case and thinner when pre-wrapped, are $7.99/lb. through tomorrow.