Smoked Fish Battle: Wexler's Deli Santa Monica vs. Gjusta

This is the saltiest lox I’ve ever eaten. No wonder they only give you four capers.

Wexler’s Deli lox and cream cheese on everything bagel, I had to take most of the lox off so I wouldn’t die.

6 Likes

Sounds like real lox.

1 Like

It is, but extra, extra salty real lox.

1 Like

Hi @Bookwich,

Sounds like you had a similar experience that we had at Wexler during our 1st and 2nd visits (super salty fish). :frowning: Our 3rd visit was better, but their Smoked Sturgeon was almost inedible with the amount of salt we got (I’ve been to Wexler’s 5 times now).

I stick with Gjusta for any Smoked Fish / Seafood.

3 Likes

Smoked trout chiffonade kale salad at Ledlow. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

7 Likes

I had the same problem when I went to the GCM location. It was so salty that I was afraid I wouldn’t fit into my shoes the next day.

Smoked trout and kale are two of my favorite things! What a beautiful salad!

1 Like

This salad is Gjusta level as far as flavors and textures. I was pleasantly surprised when I first tasted it but then thought, the dishes I enjoy the most from Centeno spots are his vegetable dishes.

I haven’t been to Lodge Bread for breakfast in a while. Scones and a couple more types of cookies are new to me.

Their cinnamon roll has been revised. It’s lighter. The bread is lighter, has more cinnamon/sugar veining through it, and has a much lighter, fluffy, non-sourish frosting. The center of the cinnamon roll is sort of concave, seemingly almost purposefully to hold more of the frosting. And the “roll” is more the size of half a pullman loaf - it is the “Big Hero 6” in the cinnamon roll world.

A new menu item to me is their smoked fish and bread. The words, “trout, salmon” are written underneath the menu item. I ordered everything to go, so I had no idea what to expect. I was thinking smoked salmon on their bread and maybe a schmear and herbs. Well, this is what greeted me upon opening the lid.

The salmon was delicious with barely enough salt to make the flavor smile. The fish salad garnished with chives could have been trout or whitefish - very light but flavorful. The pickled veggies were cucumbers, carrots and golden beets, plus a mild sauerkraut, sitting in a somewhat loose but intensely flavored schmear or dressing - a strong black pepper flavor. The bread is their rye - it is very hearty, flavorful and lightly toasted. Just a wonderful smoked fish plate in its seemingly basic components that were all delicious.

10 Likes

That looks wonderful. Is the smoked fish a weekend special or had it been added to their daily menu?

Sorry - I didn’t ask. It’s $13, which is fair to me. But one honestly needs more bread to finish off all the goodness.

I don’t recall the trout, but I’m almost 100% sure I had the salmon + sliced bread (essentially the same presentation you show) many months ago during my first visit to Lodge. And I agree w/ your assessment; it was terrific.

Glad to hear the cinnamon roll has improved. I’m not a sweets person, but that roll was a surprising fail the one time I had it. Sounds like they’ve “corrected” the issues w/ it.

1 Like

The century city Wexler‘s doesn’t have all the items mentioned by @Chowseeker1999, and I found what I got to be a mixed bag.

The “lox”, which based on the lower salt content and texture must be smoked salmon, was silky and very good. The smoked sturgeon was dried out and a bit waxy—- they didn’t slice it to order, so who knows how long the shrink wrapped serving had been in the refrigerator case.

I’m no pastrami connoisseur, but I found their pastrami dissapointing. Good solid fat content, and not dry like turkey, but lacking moisture and any dripping fat. I did like the mustard and rye bread, and the unique coleslaw (did I taste cassia bark?).

2 Likes

Who’s hip to Vobla? Super popular back in Russia with too much beer. Salt cured / dried fish. Amazing fun. Pops came through with the hangover cure on Father’s Day

6 Likes

I think Wexler’s does a very good job. I haven’t tasted a better lox and bagel or “avocado toast” in LA. Avocado and olive oil is a cosmically good combination, as evidenced by “The Elaine.”