Smoked mackerel butter - what do you think it would taste like?

I’ve never had mackerel but have always thought I wouldn’t like it. Oily. Fishy tasting. But we’re going to a highly praised place in Bergen, Norway, next week. The owner/chef lived in the US for two years and worked at Per Se, Alinea and Stone Barn at Blue Hill. Here’s the ala carte menu where this is mentioned.

http://lysverket.no/en/menu

It interests me - hell, the whole menu does :slight_smile: And it’s only between $5 and $6. Thanks for any opinions. C

Probably depends on what the kebab is made of. The one in the NY Times slideshow looks like a miniature pickled herring burrito.

“So this little ball of depressing represents the past of Norwegian food,” said the chef Christopher Haatuft as he lovingly set down a drab bite of smoked mackerel butter on rye-pumpernickel bread.

1 Like

It and he all sound interesting. We’re heading from their on a Norwegian coast cruise. The cruise line is one we sailed on a year ago to Antarctica and the food was really good. BTW I generally don’t care for cruise food. Thanks, r.

Here’s some more comments about mackerel and others.

First off - yay you! This sounds like an amazing adventure.

I confess, I am not a mackerel fan - too fishy for me.

But? I adore the honey smoked salmon at Costco, and eat it, flaked, on a bagel spread with cold butter and topped with fresh cracked pepper. So if you could give me a butter that is the sum of all those parts? I’d be pretty happy : )

If the price is as reasonable as you say, please do try it, take one for the team - and report back!

AND they have local butter. The pork belly on the menu comes from a friend of his who he convinced to raise pigs that have ‘winter coats’ , can stay outside in winter and build up a lot of fat.

Yeah, I like ‘lox.’

Getting pretty excited. BTW, making some bread to give to the flight attendants :slight_smile: You and others have created a monster. And I love you for it :slight_smile:

1 Like