Smorgasburg

it will soon die a ramen burger death.

2 Likes

Thanks @jase and all.

BTW, for this event, does each vendor actually have a dedicated kitchen / semi-permanent stall? Or is it a makeshift booth with portable burners or food trucks?

Most of them had booths, up to them to decide what kind of equipment they wanted to set up. Carnitas Momo for example had the cauldrons of pork in the back of their booth. There were a few trucks such as Guerilla tacos.

Hi @Jase,

Ah thanks. When I read about Smorgasburg, somehow I thought it was going to be a more semi-permanent installation (sort of like a commissary kitchen with more permanent equipment for all the vendors) (I guess like a food court). Just so that the chefs could be more at home / cook with better equipment to make their food for us to eat. :slight_smile:

No, it’s more like a regular food festival setting. It’s set up in the parking lot area in between warehouse buildings and loading docks. However it does look very scalable, some of the booths were huge and they were doing full on cooking. I don’t think it would be a hindrance to any experienced operator. It would be easy enough for someone to set up big propane burners to prep their food.

Certainly it’s dependent on what type of food you want to serve. Ugly Drum had their pastrami in big steamers just like a brick and mortar. Pull out a hunk and slice to order. I mentioned how Carnitas Momo had their cauldrons going and the meat was freshly cooked.

I’ve been so busy w/ work/life/etc., that I’ve just been skimming posts so that I have SOME idea of what’s going on, food-wise. But reading this just stopped me dead in my tracks! I cannot unsee the hair. And combing that + food is… Well, it’s quite a juxtaposition.

And now back to Smorgasburg…

2 Likes

How do you know it’s a guy?

3 Likes

I’m gonna hit this place up just for Ugly Drum. These guys make my favorite pastrami ever.

1 Like

That was our fault… we just ran out of room by the time Guerrilla got there to park. This week they’ll be in a different space, parked the right way.

2 Likes

Stopped by today and was surprised how well run it was. There was plenty of parking, people were friendly, lots of shade, and it wasn’t too crowded. I was orginally just stopping by for second dessert at rucker’s after a bang-bang at amboy and pokpok, but then i saw this and immediately wanted to adopt it and make it my child and then eat it. #NSFW :pig2::pig2::pig2::pig2:

Slow roasted pork belly with pickled red cabbage with chipotle mayo, wrapped in a flaky and crispy paratha.

#Rucker’s Pie
Blackberry and blood orange

Lemon chess

P.S. i was sad to see one of the longest lines at the event was for that damn ramen burger and breast implants. It’s back from the dead.

7 Likes

Pork looks killer!

Damn you taking the blackberry blood orange!

Started with Ugly Drum pastrami sandwich, pretty tasty stuff and the mustard cut through the fatty pastrami. Bread was meh. Better than Wexler’s terrible bread though.

Then a biscuit w/ mushroom gravy at Good Gravy Bakes. Not impressed at all. Cold biscuits, mediocre gravy, and the biscuit was okay.

Then Momo for some buche con cueritos tacos. $4 a pop. Tasty AF, nice salsa to bring every thing together.

Then like @PorkyBelly I saw this fucker and got in line:

Grabbed some pork belly tacos. Bit of a let down. I liked the pork part, but everything else was meh. I could live without these. Really liked the outside tortilla or whatever it was, nice and crispy yet not too greasy.

Then slice of Pizzanista margherita pizza. Way too much sauce, way too much zest, and the crust was crunch but no chew. Pass on this.

Lastly some Rucker Pie’s. Excellent as usual. Wanted the blackberry blood orange but it was sold out. Settled for blackberry mini pie, sour cherry and strawberry rhubarb.

6 Likes

if it’s any consolation, it was delicious.

5 Likes

Hi @A5KOBE,

Nice report. :slight_smile: Thanks for taking one for the team. Yah, when we went up to the booth, I noticed her Mushroom Gravy Serving Tray was sitting on the side (with no burner or heating device). I immediately thought it was probably going to be cold LOL. So we skipped that.

I’d say the sweet / dessert style options were much better (at least for us). The biscuits seemed to carry the flavors pretty well as a dessert.

Totally agree with you on Ugly Drum also.

1 Like

The gravy was also a bit soupy. The mushroom flavor was apparent and I think some tinkering can make for a better product. The gravy all but made the biscuit a dense, gummy texture. I think the dessert ones may let the biscuit shine more. I do think that if they griddled the biscuits, it would provide a nice crust to hold up to the gravy. The potential is there.

I try the ham one though when I get a chance.

2 Likes

Anyone know if I can order a full pie at Rucker’s? Whatever they happen to have that day?

Yes she sells full pies there.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll be there Sunday

Fair warning, I think whole pies were $42 this past Sunday.

1 Like