Snacks on a Plane

Porthos’ Bombardier has 2 microwaves. And a La Cornue Grand Palais 180.

But he makes me sit in the back, in seat 2A. All the while, onboard chef Antoine deftly whips up some Beef Wellington as we whisk through the skies from BUR to LAX at Mach 79.3, using the polar route (hate that 405 pass).

Awesome . I am the grumpy guy next to you being 6’8" , miserable , packed like a sardine . Getting buzzed to relieve my misery . I would like that . Thank You

Pork chop or shrimp fried rice from Din Tai Fung. They package it up nice and compact. Then a few dan tats from Jim’s bakery.

Bludsos rib tips. Extra napkins.

I ordered catering with 5 pounds of those this past weekend. Obscenely good!

2 Likes

Porky , The obvious is Howlin Rays chicken . From what I hear simply fabulous . Get some . Might as well get two orders .One to eat now and the other to eat it cold on the plane . If I was sitting next to you I would be eyeing you like a begging dog for a taste .

3 Likes

No, tuna on a plane does not work well, at least for those people sitting around you.

4 Likes

It does if you don’t want them leaning over you…

3 Likes

Depends on the tuna. I have Ortiz Spanish tuna packed in Spanish olive oil. Flight attendants have begged me for it.

1 Like

Howlin Ray’s of course

2 Likes

Everything smells stronger in flight. It may not smell fishy to you, but I can assure you that others may not think it to be a very pleasant smell.

People who bring bananas on a flight also get my dirty looks. The smart people eat quickly and ask the attendant to dispose of the peel. The annoying people eat slowly, and stuff the peel in the magazine pocket for the rest of the flight, to stink up the whole area around them.

3 Likes

Unless you’ve sat beside me then you really don’t know, do you? If you look at the recipe you’ll see the other ingredients must likely ‘cover’ any smell of tuna. I think airline meals have far more odor.

That is why I usually try to wait until meal service to partake of my own brought onboard food. I never bring objectionably smelly foods.

I do try to be live by the golden rule. I don’t enjoy the smell of other people’s food, so try not to subject others to the smell of my food, strong or not.

Really not on topic but I don’t take food - well, maybe a granola bar - on anything but an international flight. Even though a meal is served, my preference is to eat, drink and try to sleep. If I need a meal pre-flight I’m at the airport earlier enough to grab something there. It was an occasional conversation on CH that we’re talking about F. U. E. L. :slight_smile: and having something subpar is no big deal.

True, and I hope I never get seated to anyone with a tuna, olive, and red onion sandwich to find out.

3 Likes

I hope you’re never seated in first class when they serve breakfast…of eggs :smile:

Airplane eggs do not smell.

Because airplane food is “cooked” (or more technically reheated) using a convection oven, the way convection ovens heat food using air circulation (via a fan to circulate air and an exhaust to expel the heated air), airplane foods usually have a very very low level of aroma. Which, for all intents and purposes, doesn’t really matter because at 36,000 feet, your sense of smell is basically shot anyway.

Even the apple pie that I’ve had as part of an airplane meal have basically smelled exactly like my laptop.

I’ve smelled them :slight_smile: or is it :frowning:

Cath -

I’m with you. I’ve taken tuna sandwiches (ones very similar to the Pan Bagnat you linked) on planes and commuter buses and it’s been no problem. They do not smell fishy at all.

My husband and I have also flown carrying banh mi’s and those have traveled surprisingly well. (And as we have not chosen the sardine ones, they have also been not too stinky : )

My fav sandwich to travel with would be leftover Thanksgiving turkey, on sliced challah or a bagel, as prepared by my dad. Traveled beautifully and always tasted great. The first time he wasn’t feeling well and I realized he could not make me my sandwich? For the first time in decades? Oh man. Awful. I will now roast or buy a roast chicken to make our plane food but if I could ever have one of my dad’s sandwiches again? Joy.

3 Likes

I’m obviously on the wrong flights.

I wish I could smell the warmed bread in the bread baskets. It would certainly break the monotony of watching Logan for the 8th time.

Hard boiled eggs do have a sulphurous scent somewhat like the passing of gas.

Not usually served as part of food service onboard, snitched from the lounge…