So does anyone else out there make bread even close to Lodge quality?

Jaffee -

Is this the place you are talking about?

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/victory-bread-los-angeles-3

That’s basically it. But they also now have a restaurant location, and the
Yelp reviewers seem to be reviewing both. The restaurant is a pretty good
place for ajarski, lavash sandwiches, etc. Restaurant is the one at Victory
and Fulton; bakery is the one at Victory and Hazeltine.

Jaffe -

Thanks! I think I am most interested in the bread, so I’ll check out the bakery. Maybe bring a friend so we can split loaves and try more!

This is the closest I can find to a bread bakery discussion and I want to share my find.

I’m kind of a Lavashologist as it’s the only truly Armenian bread and we have so many bakeries here that are great but we just stumbled upon something so so soft and lovely and just roasty enough that i have to share

best we’ve had among a very competitive market

Some of you live near it, ahem @ebethsdad

8 Likes

Hi @Nemroz,

Thanks for the tip! :slight_smile: Do you recommend eating this Lavash as is, or should it be warmed up somehow? Thanks.

1 Like

look for only fresh lavash… when it’s dried up you want to sprinkle it with water and put it back in the bag to rehydrate…

we eat it room temp with whatever we’re eating… today it was my and my dad’s favorite… lavash, feta and herbs wrapped like so:

2 Likes

If you are ever in West LA in curious to get your opinion on Naan Hut. They specialize in Persian flatbreads. I know not the same thing but pretty great fresh.

Found this short video of the guy working the rotating oven

Can’t seem to find a direct link to the video - too bad :frowning:

4 Likes

Nice. That looks like a sangak bakery and im thankful that you mentioned it. Though I didn’t grow up with this, wrong country I came to be obsessed with it in LA nd our nearest one on Pico has closed so I’m glad to have a another spot though it’s too far to go regularly. Best one I’ve had is up in Woodland Hills

1 Like

Victory Bread has a satellite down the street from me (across from Gumri), but I haven’t hit it up yet. When I do it will be for lahmacun rather than lavash, although I love lavash.
@DogbiteWilliams goes to Victory Bread’s flagship regularly I believe. Perhaps he could weigh in on this.
There was a wonderful Armenian artisan bakery near the Olive Garden Market where I got some great lavash, but it closed a couple of years ago.

Sorry. I am gluten intolerant. I have never had any of their baked goods. I decline the pitas for the take-out meals.

1 Like

Wasn’t sure where to put this so I figured this would be as good as any other thread.

Just bought a baguette and seeded sourdough loaf from a baker named Jyan Isaac Bakery. It is really solid, and I think vaults up into the top tier in LA for me (along with Gjusta, Republique, Clark St). Jyan’s story is here:

By way of background, I was at Fat and Flour picking up some pies, and I happened to ask them whether they would be doing baguettes like they did at Fiona. The answer was that they were unlikely to do so, but they referred me to a former baker (whose name is Sergio, no less), who now works with Jyan Isaac. Directed me to the IG acct and voila, I had to try them out!

The crust is about as crunchy as that from Gjusta (with the pliable insides) but they seem to use a bit less salt. I personally think it makes for a great balance.

They sell these every Sunday at the BH Farmers market and also have pickup in SM.

8 Likes

Good Intel!

I had read about this guy a few wks ago when I was doing an internet search for bread (can’t recall how I stumbled upon his story [IIRC, the blurb I read had been written in the first person]). He’s only 19!

Will certainly be interested in trying his bread now. Thanks for tip.

2 Likes

say no more fam

6 Likes

I found Jyan’s bread to be great looking with decent crust and crumb but very bland. Perhaps he’s undersalting or not as aggressive with the fermentation.

Tartine, Gjusta, Clark Street and Lodge are all within a five mile radius. Tough competition.

1 Like

How is it possible that Bub & Grandma’s has not been mentioned in this entire thread??? While I haven’t had every bread in LA, Bub & Grandma’s is easily the best I have had.

1 Like

Probably because it’s wholesale-only except for limited availability at a couple of farmers markets.

That is not correct, and even if it were, that would make it no more limited than places like Jyan Isaac, Lodge, or Gjusta. Regardless, there is a long list of retail outlets all over LA that sell Bub & Grandma’s. The list is on the front page of Bub & Grandma’s website.

1 Like

I got some @ proof in Atwater this week, and I have to agree. I think there is a ton of good bread around LA right now, but to my taste B&G is a cut above.

1 Like

What bread do you like at Tartine? Can’t recall which one I had at the Santa Monica location, but I was… unimpressed.

I guess it depends on what you mean by “limited.” Being available at FMs that only occur half a day per wk (one of which is a weekday) or at shops at close by 3PM is absolutely more limited, IMHO, than a Gjusta or a Milo and Olive. YMMV.

1 Like

Being at 1 location only is by definition limited. And that location is Gjusta? Gtfo :joy: