So does anyone else out there make bread even close to Lodge quality?

I got some @ proof in Atwater this week, and I have to agree. I think there is a ton of good bread around LA right now, but to my taste B&G is a cut above.

1 Like

What bread do you like at Tartine? Can’t recall which one I had at the Santa Monica location, but I was… unimpressed.

I guess it depends on what you mean by “limited.” Being available at FMs that only occur half a day per wk (one of which is a weekday) or at shops at close by 3PM is absolutely more limited, IMHO, than a Gjusta or a Milo and Olive. YMMV.

1 Like

Being at 1 location only is by definition limited. And that location is Gjusta? Gtfo :joy:

Fair enough. But the point still remains that Bub & Grandma’s is not limited to farmers markets, and, to my knowledge, never was. I believe they were available 7 days a week at places like Dune and Cookbook long before they started selling at farmers markets. Today, their bread is available at a lot of outlets around town.

But the discussion about availability is distracting from the most important point: the bread is really good!

2 Likes

Can’t remember which restaurant I had B&G bread and thought it was really good.

In terms of classic baguettes, I think B&G and Clark St. are the two standouts.

I recall enjoying the offerings from Seed Bakery in Pasadena, with three caveats: it’s been several years since I had their bread; I have not had bread from Lodge, Gjusta, B & G, and other places mentioned in this thread; and, really, I just plain like most every bread, so my palate is probably not the most refined. grin

1 Like

The prob is that I don’t GTFO until 7PM from work, so a place that’s open until 8PM, including weekends, works pretty good for me, even if it’s not close by (esp since traffic has still been fairly light). :wink:

Only had B&Gs a few times, but I would agree.

Have you tried Clark St. baguette? I agree w/ @tailbacku that I think it’s excellent. Must be eaten the same day as purchase, though (it’s fine the next day, but truly fantastic the day of, IMHO).

Although the frozen ones from Epicurus Gourmet are simply insane QPR.

I actually have never tried a loaf from Gjusta. Is the bread as good since Lett left? After my sub-par italian sandwich there, I am wary of returning.

Don’t sell yourself short. I’m sure Seed is delicious. :slight_smile: Lodge, at least few yrs ago, was letting the crust get too burnt, IMHO.

1 Like

Have you tried Clark St. baguette? I agree w/ @tailbacku that I think it’s excellent. Must be eaten the same day as purchase, though (it’s fine the next day, but truly fantastic the day of, IMHO).

I have had the Clark St. baguette and agree that it is quite good. I think the baguette is one area where B&G is not head and shoulders above others. When I am looking for a baguette, it’s not as important to me to get B&G and I’d be just as happy to go with Clark St., Epicurus, or some of the other options in this thread. But…I am more of a boule person than a baguette person, at least on a day to day basis, and in the boule world the B&G house loaf and emmer loaf are my favorites by quite a large margin. :grinning:

I actually have never tried a loaf from Gjusta. Is the bread as good since Lett left? After my sub-par italian sandwich there, I am wary of returning.

I’m not sure either! It has been a few years since I’ve been to Gjusta.

Although the frozen ones from Epicurus Gourmet are simply insane QPR.

These are pretty great for QPR and for convenience. I may be picking up a couple this weekend. :sweat_smile:

I do love a boule on occasion (and it’s all I know how to bake myself!). Okay, will need to try to find some B&G. I do like to think that, at my very best, my bread is not too far off from the slices of B&G I had, but I’m probably deluding myself. ::sigh::

I do love a boule on occasion (and it’s all I know how to bake myself!)

Same here! :grimacing:

I do like to think that, at my very best, my bread is not too far off from the slices of B&G I had, but I’m probably deluding myself.

I liked to tell myself that as well, but eventually I had to concede defeat. I don’t even bother baking my own anymore, it can’t compete with Bub & Grandma’s…even after Bub & Grandma’s has been frozen. (That’s not to say your loaves can’t compete; I’m sure yours would beat mine.)

If you do go pick up some B&G, I highly recommend trying the emmer loaf. In the interest of full disclosure, though, the emmer loaf is harder to get your hands on than the house loaf. The house loaf is widely available at retail stores, but the emmer is (to my knowledge) only available at the farmers markets and a limited number of retail options.

Happy eating!

1 Like