So what's your favorite Italian food in San Diego?

Restructuring, management new ideas of eficiency etc sound very familar and are so short sighted but unfortunately the norm now in the industry (and it seems that SD got its extra dose of incompentent management compared to ither major hubs. I don’t know your exact line of work and company but if you are willing to take risks there are still small companies starting from time to time but they are often run by inexperienced people (the majority of experienced people for start-ups went to Boston (and to a much lesser degree SF) so the chance of the company closing after 2-3 years is rather large. If one is not lucky to find the right spot very fast I think it is often now a decision between career (you have to move east coast or at least SF) or living (but often with a hit in salary and/or career level)

I will still post chef tastings - a long list of recent ones with two very positive surprises - Marine Room and Mille Fleur

With schools and cost of living (if one thinks SD is expensive I recommend just looking to Boston prices) I doubt it will be Cambridge/Back Bay but most likely West Newton, Watertown, Brookline, Arlington to have a decent commute and good schools and housing

1 Like

So you completely changed careers (e.g. brewery like some others from biotech as with Lightning Brewery) or still work in a related field ?

Yes please do post those reviews here or at least a link to them on your blog!

I’m sorry to read this.

You will be missed.

2 Likes

Best wishes Honkman. Boston will be fun to explore!

1 Like

Yeah I went to work for a brewery haha. I no longer work 50-70 hours a week, don’t spend 6 hours a day in meetings, don’t have pre-meetings for those other meetings, and generally don’t have stress anymore. I also took a massive paycut though, so…

2 Likes

Don’t venture to far…
BOS is very expensive…but I found the outer boroughs can be sketch, so pick and chose wisely.
Make sure as soon as the red light turns green, you haul ass!
:yum:

Good for you Krispy…
I found the less you work, the more money you make…stress free happiness…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Meh, it’s better in Berlin.

Don’t try and kiss ass before Herr honk moves to BOS!

I wasn’t aware that the old Berlin joke was kissing HH’s ass.

Unfortunately, I understand his choice in relocation all too well.

I know, I know…too bad there is no serious biotech in Berlin

1 Like

You are still in the Bay Area ?

No, that ended in January, not by my choosing… I’m back in San Diego, playing house husband and looking for work.

I am currently in Boston house/school hunting and so far thought that the winter time would be the biggest change to SD until I tried to buy some beer in a supermarket and we started to realize how different the alcohol laws are compared to California. Yes, we make jokes about craft beer in SD everywhere but I am afraid I will seriously miss the selection and didn’t expect it to be this bad.

This is a good reminder that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

People may bash SD food scene for not having this, or not having that, but all-in-all we have it pretty good here.

So not always better in Berlin?

Until you go to an Italian or a seafood joint. Then you will realize how bad things actually are here (respectively).

So has the grandfather of microbreweries, Sam Adams, crushed the craft competition? I haven’t been in many years, but would have figured a thriving craft brew scene happening in Boston.

I don’t think it is that simple. Though Jim Koch has been know to eschew strong IPAs, sours, and a lot of the other beers that have gotten big in the most recent craft beer era, I don’t think he likes crushing the small competition.

Craft beer has had two distinct eras in recent years, I believe. Samuel Adams was part of the revival, and during the first era that peaked in the mid 90s, Boston did have a handful of decent microbreweries/brewpubs, but they never had a thriving scene. There are certainly a few breweries of note (e.g. Trillium) and the northeast beer scene in general is a major player. There are many, many noteworthy sours, and east coast IPAs (with Heady Topper being their grandfather) are still all the rage.

Part of Honkman’s experience may not be that he is not as familiar with the craft beers in the northeast. I suspect, however, that he is seeing poorer selection because the distribution market in Boston may be a lot more constrained, controlled by only a few major entities. He’ll probably have to go to bottle shops to find a better selection.