Soba and Wagashi @losnooyado

This handmade soba was absolutely fantastic and some of the best I’ve had. The 80% buckwheat soba comes raw and all you have to do is cook it for 90 seconds, rinse, dunk in an ice bath for 10 seconds, and enjoy. The hardest part was waiting for the 1 gallon of water to come to a boil.

The noodles had a delicious nutty flavor and a delightful slippery, al dente, chew. The tsuyu (dipping sauce) had a hint of sweetness, a touch of smoke from the katsuobushi, and a deep savory, umami-ness to it.

The sudachi soba was a new one for me and was even more refreshing with the addition of citrus.

I may or may not have eaten all four servings in one sitting.

Pro tip, save some soba-yu (soba water) to enjoy with your leftover tsuyu.

Thanks to @js76wisco for the heads up.

DM @losnooyado to order, pick up in noho.
@foodshutterbug, @hanhgry, @attran99, @J_L, @Chowseeker1999, @chinchi, @NYCtoLA, @butteredwaffles

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD8L0XRJgS7/

zaru soba, BYO kizami nori

sudachi soba

tamagoyaki
moist and fluffy

losnooyado x ototo

I tried, I failed, couldn’t get all four servings on one plate.

handmade soba, tsuyu, wasabi, negi, myoga, yuzu zest, BYO kizami nori
delicious as before and even better with some fresh yuzu zest.

round 2
yuzu for scale

passion fruit cheesecake cream puff - cookie crust cream puff stuffed with passion fruit curd and cream cheese filling, topped with swiss meringue

almond tofu with chino farms melon
a bit denser and not quite as refreshing as needle’s almond jello, wish there was some more syrup. but didn’t get any of the spicy flavors @J_L got, not sure what went wrong there.

good news, after some encouragement @losnooyado is selling her beautiful wagashi now. they’re naturally colored, filled with not too sweet anko, and pair great with some hayato sencha-matcha tea.

DM @losnooyado for some delicious soba and wagashi.

27 Likes

Picking up mine today!

Just wanna add that Yoko’s soba is 80% buckwheat.

4 Likes

I’ve had many failures trying to make soba -its hard! that looks fantastic!

2 Likes

Wow that looks so stunning!

On a hot day nothing beats a bowl of cold soba (Otafuku Seiro Ume Shiso Vegetable I am looking at you!)

4 Likes

Looks so good. Perfect for thread hot muggy hazy days. I’m hoping to pick up next week after Hayato but not sure about the schedule.

2 Likes

:joy:
in regards to portions that an individual can eat in one sittting:
USA : Pizza :: Japan : Soba

You should make all four at once and plate like this:

Would be a shame for anyone to miss this step. Is it included in the directions?

4 Likes

haha, that looks about right.

unfortunately, no. Instructions here:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CEVG7nKJo6J/

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CEVM3FxpHH_/

Also, easy bang with epicurus gourmet @TheCookie, @Dommy, @Happybaker

My haul:

11 Likes

Oh!! You will not regret getting that Soy Sauce!! And I have to get those mini bars of Turron next time!!! I love that! Those giant bars are ridiculous.

Thanks so much for the post. I love Soba and I love Tamago. I am following them on Insta now and will put on a order sooner rather than later!

4 Likes

Ooooh… Drool! Drool!

Shoot. I need to get there. But then I will buy everything. But honestly, in these times? Maybe that’s not such a bad thing!

If you can, please report back on the finds, especially the soy sauce and, those St. Michel galettes. And - was the bread as awesome as it looked?

5 Likes

That Bread is awesome.

Its “breadier” than most baguettes which makes it nice to make a “trough” and have a really nice crusty sandwich. I actually could only eat half that sandwich… wrapped it up in plastic wrap like a Pan Bagnat should be anyways… put it in the fridge and had it the next day for lunch… it wasn’t crust anymore but it was still super good and not tough in the least.

7 Likes

Thank you for the report!

And mmmmmmm - that sandwich!

Pan Bagnat baby!! It’s one of the best and easiest sandwiches you can make at home… AMAZING.

1 Like

I just have the costco albacore tuna. But hmm… maybe with some marinated artichoke hearts, and some peppers and thin sliced onion… Hmmmmm…

2 Likes

That is more than fine… Albacore is good stuff… With those ingredients and squeeze of lemon or lime or a shake of some red wine vinegar… great stuff to have in a sandwich.

2 Likes

Soba was earthy, chewy, and slightly grainy as it should be. But some of the noodles are cut unevenly as you can see in the pictures. Tsuyu, on the other hand, has a quite delicate and balanced flavor combination of smoke, sweetness, and that distinct dashi umami flavor.

soba banana bread

tamagoyaki
Moist, fluffy, slightly sweet and savory.

Yes, Yoko provides you with freshly grated wasabi unlike Vespertine.

hand-cut fresh soba - 80% buckwheat

Bring your own nori.

19 Likes

losnooyado x ototo

I tried, I failed, couldn’t get all four servings on one plate.

handmade soba, tsuyu, wasabi, negi, myoga, yuzu zest, BYO kizami nori
delicious as before and even better with some fresh yuzu zest.

round 2
yuzu for scale

passion fruit cheesecake cream puff - cookie crust cream puff stuffed with passion fruit curd and cream cheese filling, topped with swiss meringue

almond tofu with chino farms melon
a bit denser and not quite as refreshing as needle’s almond jello, wish there was some more syrup. but didn’t get any of the spicy flavors @J_L got, not sure what went wrong there.

19 Likes

Looks great. The cutting looks much more even now.

1 Like

Thanks @PorkyBelly (and by extension @js76wisco) for the tip on this. Great getting such fresh soba noodles!

2 orders plus one extra set of noodles was more than enough to stuff three of us :grimacing:

14 Likes

:sweat_smile: :clap: :clap: :clap:

5 Likes