Soban report

I’ve read about the bracken ferns (warabi) being a carcinogen as well. It’s a delicacy amongst Koreans and Japanese for sure, so feel honored in a similar way that if one were to offer you a good cigar - it could kill you. But one? Probably not. My mom used to regularly serve this up in a few ways in my youth. I grew to enjoy it. No one in my family has had the C-word befall them yet so touch wood I guess.

i’d get nauseated very quickly if i smoked that cigar. it’s not something i want to acquire a taste for. i can live without bracken ferns too.

To each…

Doesn’t seem to have an impact on Japanese life expectancy… Gnaw away I say

Everything is a carcinogen my friend. You fucking eat meat don’t you? Anything cooked past raw has carcinogens.

Enjoy dying. The rest of us fucking are.

I think most fermented foods are carcinogenic. Pickles, kimchi, sauerkraut. IIRC, they raise your risk of throat and stomach cancer. But they also have lots of beneficial probiotics, so it balances out.

Just came back from my first visit ever. That galbi jiim is one of the best things I have tasted in a very long time. The banchan were plentiful, but the freshness was even more remarkable. And the service was beyond warm. Perfect cold weather food.

8 Likes

Bumping this up for people who have not had the galbi jim as the weather gets cold.

Also in the banchan, they have this celery (I could be wrong) that was so tasty.

3 Likes

anyone been recently? finally going back today… not sure what to get ( not galbi jim today). … something something fermented fish

Oh my god you guys

I’m just going to keep going around town and try everyone’s braised black cod. So far this one wins

10 Likes

Score one for J. Gold. I doubt I would have tried this excellent restaurant but for his 101 list.

I really need to return and try the crab and black cod. The banchan might be the best in KTown. Easily one of the best Korean restaurants in the country. Galbi Jim here is one of my top dishes of all time.

3 Likes

Glad to hear Soban is still killing it. I first read about this place on @matthewkang’s old blog, which I just realized is no longer in existence.

BTW, have you all tried Seongbukdong? No cod, but the braised mackerel and galbi jjim are both quite good.

1 Like

You like the cod more at Soban’s vs Jun Won?

And the banchan? Jun WOn has great banchan.

1 Like

Yes they do. Also one of the best!!!

And you can’t beat the service and hospitality from the Son at Jun Won.

1 Like

Yah I liked Jun Won’s banchan a lot, but I like Soban more (and there’s just more variety and interesting ones), but we’ve only been to Jun Won once, but Soban about 4 times.

Any opinions on the raw marinated crab?

Phenomenally good. I love the creaminess of the raw crab.

The galbi jjim at Soba is sweet as opposed to the spicy/cheesy versions at Sun Nong Dan, right?