SoCal: Where to get Vietnamese traditional steam dumplings from Huế (a Central Region in Vietnam, the old capital)?

My favorite Vietnamese food & childhood snacks:
Bánh Bèo, Nậm, Lọc (combo)

I’m searching for all the best places offering this authentic dumplings (frozen) to steam at home! Please drop a recommendation if you have a favorite spot!

I usually get them here in OC: Ngự Bình Restaurant - Google Search (Westminster) or Quán Vỹ Dạ Restaurant https://maps.app.goo.gl/jQf82QfSbhhNiUYw7

Looking forward to try this spot tomorrow: Hue Oi Vietnamese Cuisine - Google Search (Fountain Valley)

The making of Bánh Nậm at Hoài Huế Restaurant, San Diego, Hoài Huế Restaurant - Google Search - my favorite spot to get them in San Diego :two_hearts: Haven’t found anywhere noteworthy in LA yet :see_no_evil:

More info about those dumplings:

1. Bánh Bèo | Traditional Rice Dish From Huế, Vietnam | TasteAtlas
  2. Bánh Nậm | Traditional Dumplings From Huế, Vietnam | TasteAtlas
  3. Bánh Bột Lọc | Traditional Dumplings From Huế, Vietnam | TasteAtlas
  4. Hue Food Guide – Vietnam Coracle – Independent Travel Guides to Vietnam

They’re really tasty. If you haven’t tried, order them next time you visit a Central Vietnamese Restaurant :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Check out Ben Ngu. It’s down the street from Rodeo 39.

2 Likes

@attran99 thank you. I’ll stop by tomorrow!

1 Like

My elementary classmate in OC showed me a spot I haven’t been to, and I found my favorite bánh Nậm :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Their south bay location doesn’t have that steam dumpling so I guess I’ll be driving to OC more often :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

I often order this whenever I can: H8 - combination of Bánh Lọc Lá and Bánh Nậm. It’s probably the best Bánh Nậm I’ve had in OC! H7 if you just want to eat it without the tapioca shrimp dumplings.

I tasted the broth from my friend’s Bún Bò Huế. It’s alright. A slight adoption of the southern style…

I was saving room for Vientiane. I might come back and try a few more dishes on their menu next time. Unless @JeetKuneBao volunteer as a tribute and try some of these (in order of priorities…) @attran99 if you have a chance to try any of them with all your extra humans, lmk!

1. H8 Combo Bánh Lọc Lá & Bánh Nậm!!! (appetizer)
  2. A8 Gỏi Gà Bóp (appetizer)
  3. H12 Bánh Ướt Thịt Nướng Sả (appetizer)
  4. A9 Thịt Heo Luộc Cuốn Tôm Chua (appetizer)
  5. H11 Cơm Gà Bóp (main)
  6. H9 Cơm Âm Phủ (main)
  7. H2 Bánh Canh Tôm Cua (thicken broth - main)

(See menu for English references)

Huế, Vietnam’s old capital, is a city of thicc tradition & possibly has most of my most favorite Vietnamese food.

Most of our food are small plates, appetizers. There is hardly a one meal one dish situation I’ve experienced growing up. Moving to Sai Gon, I got a portion shock already. Then America happened lol Everything is (still) so HUGE! I’m just a struggling mushroom, I don’t want to commit eating only one thing for a meal, no fun :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

BTW, hand washing before eating is lotta fun~

5 Likes

Go to Mai Phung’s for Banh Canh.

I’m on the other side of the country so someone else will have to go.

I been to Hue Oi. I wish I tried more Central style dishes

2 Likes

@JeetKuneBao Thank you, I’ll check Mai Phung out. I really like that style of “udon” noodles.

The Bánh Nậm there is my favorite in OC area and possibly California. Their sauce isn’t the best but it isn’t a huge distraction. I got the frozen ones home and steam it myself. That’s one of my emergency freezer fast food

I heard good things about this roll from some legit Vietnamese aunties :sweat_smile:

H12. Bánh Ướt Thịt Nướng Sả
Hue style grilled hand-cut pork marinated with lemongrass and sesame seeds, serve with thin rice roll, steam beam sprouts, lettuce, herbs, and house fish sauce.

I’ll try this at Hoai Hue next time and report back to you. Unfortunately they don’t serve it with the traditional peanut dipping sauce (not the one in Southern style for spring rolls or summer rolls).