Solid Fusion at a Premium - Chef David Chang's Majordomo Arrives in L.A. [Thoughts + Pics]

@Chowseeker1999 if it’s any consolation. I dined at a couple of DC’s restaurants prior to Majordomo opening up - wasn’t blown away and though it was overpriced. As these Majordomo rave reviews starting flowing in, I continued to double down.

At this point I’ve concluded, Sgee’s dining preference and DC’s cooking style is not compatible… cutting my losses. Reminds me of my Red Medicine experience in it’s polarizing heyday - although not as bad in DC’s case.

4 Likes

How different is the flavor profile of the Benton Reserved to the regular one ?

I can’t say. I don’t recall knowing about Benton’s Ham before having it that night.

I’ve had both and I like both. But I have a high affinity for funk.

1 Like

Hi @Sgee,

Thanks. Yah, actually of all of the groups of friends I’ve taken with us to Majordomo - some well-traveled; one couple has been to more highly rated restaurants around the world than I can remember (a ridiculous amount), half of them are way more discerning than I am, some aren’t foodies at all - and only 1 of them wanted to go back immediately (after we had the APL Ribs of course). Everyone else’s reactions have ranged from “overrated” “overpriced” “not going back” to “it’s fine, but not in a hurry to return.” But all of our friends who have tried the APL Ribs agreed it’s their best dish and they’d be glad to try those again… I’m feeling the same.

My group of 4 is actually the opposite. The APL style ribs is great, but we wouldn’t mind going without it but the duck is a must for us. Thanks for the review though!

1 Like

I like that we all don’t like the same things.

2 Likes

Apparently we all have to like the same things and if we don’t, it’s the execution of the kitchen that failed.

1 Like

does anybody really like cold bing though?

3 Likes

no of course not, but if you read what I posted up top, I already made that concession.

If whoever’s on the pass is doing their job right, food that’s supposed be served hot won’t get cold before it’s picked up.

I call that a problem in execution, as opposed to a problem in conception, such as cooking the bings ahead and planning to serve them cold.

Hard to even begin to fathom that.
Hercule Poirot is less observant that you !

4 Likes

It’s hard not to “like” a post that references Hercule Poirot.

5 Likes

Totally wrong. We should all be exactly like me like the same thing.

:wink:

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

3 Likes

Reading this I’m reminded of my favorite expression “IMneverHO” :slight_smile: