South Bay Staples

Do you know what political causes every company you support or spend money at donates to? Breweries, furniture companies, the fruit person at the farmers market, your gardener, movie theatre chain, etc? I understand where you’re coming from but where do you draw the line. I have a hard enough time keeping track of myself let alone every place I spend money with. I give to charities and political causes that align with my views. If given the choice I would not want to spend money at places that are diametrically opposed to my views but it seems like an impossible task.

Danny Meyer gives to a lot of charitable causes that align with my views and he has been at the forefront on making change in the industry to provide more equitable pay/benefits.

Hard to separate.

9 Likes

While it is definitely hard to draw the line on such things since theres so much going on in the world, upon discovery of something unseemly or something that doesn’t align with my values I will try to boycott or not spend my money on such things.

I will never be purchasing a martins potato roll ever again, not saying that I won’t eat one if it’s presented to me at a sandwich shop etc., but will try to avoid as best I can.

12 Likes

Ditto which is why I only had a milkshake and ate somewhere else instead of having a delicious cheeseburger on a Martins potato roll. But some would say that is supporting Martin’s.

6 Likes

Of course you can’t always track all donations, support, political opinions etc from every organization you engage on a daily basis but at the same I think making other people aware on a forum, social media, newspapers etc. is the best way to spread information so everybody can make his/her own decision.

10 Likes

From Burger She Wrote the other day :rofl:

7 Likes

I’d cut Shake Shack some slack for a while. They’ve apparently been getting those rolls for under six cents apiece (!) and there’s no other vendor that can provide similar quality in the same volume for a comparable price on short notice.

2 Likes

That’s funny. The trick with the King’s Hawaiian rolls is to double up like at Dog Haus.

8 Likes

Damn that looks delicious!

:joy: that is definitely the most smashed burger I’ve received from them. Almost like they were proving a point

1 Like

Kogi burgers do the same I believe

1 Like

we had a very nice lunch at dimsum 101 in lomita today. an edited menu of mostly standards (and not all of them) but everything was done very nicely–except the chicken feet, which were a bit flabby. a good option for when we’re not in the mood for a sgv drive.

2 Likes

a little diversion, but any idea where Kogi sources their buns for their sliders? A question that has been in the back of my head for 10 years

Some Fwd action. About as good as it seems to get for South Bay. Highlights soft shell crab make your own lettuce rolls, Scallops and key lime pie, clam chowder with homemade oyster crackers.

Lowish lights oysters were shucked poorly. Multiple shell pieces/debris.

Not as good as Connie and teds but I also don’t have to drive over an hour.

8 Likes

King’s now makes burger buns in addition to the slider sized ones. Got some for my McCalls meat homemade burger the other day.

3 Likes

actually looks like I’m headed to FWD on Sat. to meet my sisters for lunch since C&T’s is closed for the weekend and we want seafood. Never been there before— besides your recs from your current meal, anything I shouldn’t miss?

Key Lime Pie definitely.

3 Likes

key lime pie
peruvian scallops
koshihikari rice

3 Likes

If it’s hot and earlier in the day I really enjoy the raw bar seafood platters but I’ve had it good and just ok before.

Also their salad is really good.

Cmon guys key lime pies is the first photo I posted lol!

3 Likes

great!! thanks for the suggestions guys!!

update: just heard from one of my sisters— no tables available Sat… bummer… I was looking forward to checking out FWD and spending the day in the slightly cooler South Bay… now I need to look for another option… grumble. I’ll have to try again another time

1 Like

Can always put on a reservation alert.

@thechez5 enjoyed her meal at ryla which is nearby and helmed by the former head chef at fwd I think.

thx, but I don’t really feel like “being on call” this weekend…lol. I’m going to have to come up with a new idea— one sister is in Anaheim Hills and the other in Woodland Hills so I was trying to be slightly diplomatic with the location. South Bay seemed like a reasonable compromise to me.

1 Like