South Bay Staples

I went to Curryfornia a few days ago. I thought it was good, not amazing but its better than most restaurants that use curry blocks from S&B/House/Vermont.

Do note once you start adding a bunch of things it can easily become a $20 plate of curry. I got the omurice and katsu option FYI but the base set does come with 3 free toppings.

@attran99 Thanks!

5 Likes

The curry hamburg (add cheese) at Midoh in Rowland Heights (I know, not South Bay) is pretty fuckin good. They also have a spicy condiment you can add which is fantastic.

3 Likes

Going to try out Painters Tape next week…

Thoughts? Favorite dishes? Must gets?

Painters Tape is a regular lunch spot of ours here at the office.
Some of my fav things: pork toro bun (it’s actually a sandwich), cabbage salad, griddle bread, curry donut

1 Like

Went to jus poke twice in two weeks.

Still got those ono grindz.

All this for 10.75

5 Likes

Azucanela churreria
13307 s Inglewood, hawthorne, ca
https://g.co/kgs/5FyWVa

Just stumbled upon this new churreria when I was getting some lamb biryani from zam zam. Just opened in 2019

Some of the best churros I’ve had in LA. Different from the Mexico City style that are small lighter and airier. These were larger but still soft on the inside. They make and dress them to order I had one plain and two filled with cajeta.

Pure churro happiness. Do a bang bang if you’re near zam zam

I also stopped by el gaucho meat market earlier in the day and had the good old lomo milanesa sandwich and added copious amounts of chimichurri

14 Likes

Furaibo is expanding to Santa Ana…tebasaki and hanpen cheese!!!

3 Likes

wow! that’s news since they closed the Rowland Heights/Hacienda Heights location a while back. I didn’t think they were trying to expand anymore

Anybody have good suggestions for dinner pick up in Torrance that will travel well to be eaten 1-1.5 hours later. I’m going to Monkish to pick up cans and want to grab dinner from somewhere out there as well. Sushi is likely out. Any of the lovely fried items like Kagura or Carlos seem tricky.

1 Like

Wadatsumi? Otafuku? Otafuku has yakitori Thurs-Sunday nights

1 Like

@Hungrydrunk is right. Any of the Wadatsumi bowls would travel well…and you get their delicious rice. Fukugawa is also a good option. I love their grilled fish. You could also try grabbing a charcuterie tray from La Española. Maybe dessert from Nagomi, Chantilly, or King’s Hawaiian…depending on what’s open.

4 Likes

ahh, forgot about the dessert option!

1. Yakitori from Torimatsu - reheat in toaster oven
  2. Hamburg Teishoku from Komatsu - they should have some other item that could survive a 1.5hr wait, too
5 Likes

Thanks all. I think yakitori and grilled fish at Otafuku might be the winner. My kids love yakitori. I’ll bring a cooler for soba.

Chantilly closes at 5 and I won’t be there before then. Maybe a pineapple cheesecake at Kings.

3 Likes

Paradise cake, Paradise cheesecake or Chocolate dobash at King’s!

3 Likes

Otafuku is always delicious. Can’t go wrong there.

1 Like

Looks great. They don’t do the combos to go. This looks up our alley for outdoor dining.

I’ve heard of but never been. They close too early as well but will check them out when I have more time.

Last time I went to Kansha Creamery they were only doing pints to go. If they have scoops I might get one in between Monkish and Otafuku. Dessert before dinner is the best.

2 Likes

How’s Zam Zam doing these days? Hopefully good business?

I stopped by this past Sunday for lunch and they were not open. The place was still filled with equipment but not operating that day. Really bummed because I was looking forward to the biryani and the place I ended up going getting biryani to did not suffice.

TnT Aloha Cafe

• bacon fried rice
  • kimchee loco moco
  • portuguese sausage mix
  • mac salad

Pollo a la Brasa - Vermont

• chicken dinner w/ rice and fries or coleslaw and their amazing aji sauce

King’s Hawaiian

• evening can be tricky as most desserts are pretty much gone, but doesn’t hurt to check in
  • pineapple cheesecake
  • buttermilk cruller
  • paradise cake
  • macadamia nut pie
  • malasada

Wadatsumi

• roast beef bowl

El Roccoto

• ceviches and tiraditos
  • jalea classica
  • chaufa de mariscos
  • arroz chaufa