South Bay Staples

A bit confused as you mention that Gardena is far away but also that you got to sweet rice often which is also in Gardena

Gardena.

That stretch of Western north of the freeway exit and the areas around Redondo Blvd have some of the best Japanese and Korean in the South Bay. I thinks it’s worth a trip. Some things feel very far apart and in other aspects some things are pretty damn close. South Bay Bubble.

Haha. Yeah. We tend to not travel far for breakfast - impossible on weekdays with school and really hard on weekends given kids’ sports. But my wife and I have more flexibility during the day so can venture further for lunch!

1 Like

And yeah we hit Gardena a lot for lunch/dinner… We started going to Fukagawa again after a long hiatus. What do you recommend?

2 Likes

Thanks for the Jons market grill rec.

$8.99 great qpr.

3 Likes

How is Zam Zam biryani? Some Yelp reviews mentioned a change of hands. Still the same taste?

Otafuku.
Sakae Sushi.
Spoon House. (Anyone been to the other Japanese-Italian across the street?).
Fukuno.
Meiji Tofu.
Furaibo.

Oh no… I’ve had friends who I’ve sent to zam zam in the past year who have given positive reports, but not anyone lately.

I went a few months ago, still really good!!! The Lamb I think is still on the weekends, we get the Chicken.

Yeah can’t confirm change of owners but I had it late last year and it was still good.

Thanks! Almost went to Otafuku the other day but decided to hit Fukagawa instead. Finally made it to Spoon House, incredible QPR… Japanese Italian generally not my favorite but with two ravenous boys, I loved how cheap it was. And Furaibo is a classic! Sakae we’ve wanted to try for so long, but is cash only and we don’t use cash anymore :frowning: Will have to try Fukuno!

1 Like

Yes! When I posted this, I hadn’t ventured beyond the Boat Noodles and Congees. Since then, I’ve become addicted to the Kao Soi. It is really good. Not sweet at all and not too heavy. I love dipping the fried donuts in the broth.

1 Like

You don’t use cash at all? :exploding_head: how does that work for tacos and farmers markets etc?

Otafuku is a must try serio soba, tamagoyaki, tempura, and pretty much everything else on their menu is too notch.

Most taco places take cards, Venmo and Zelle. If you and they have the newer iphones, you can pay phone to phone. Same with larger farmers market stands. I’ve been using Locale through the pandemic and just recently started going back to Farmers Markets on occasion. Whereas prior I was spending maybe $40 a trip… now it’s way over $60… some stands, I have no problem to ask before grabbing items… You do ‘tap’? Many do.

3 Likes

had no idea!

2 Likes

Yeah… the Pot Pie lady at the Culver City Farmers Market has it and it was WAY too easy. I went to the Ramenfest this weekend and same thing… Almost all the vendors had squares or tap to pay… I just now need to remember to keep my phone charged…

1 Like

I had no idea about direct pay iPhone. That’s pretty cool.

1 Like

fyi, support your local cash-only taqueros and restaurants!

7 Likes

Just don’t compare to the top 5% in NY and you’ll be happy.

3 Likes

That looks freakin good dude. Thin crisp no flop.

How are the squares?

1 Like