South Bay Staples

Welcome back to FTC!

5 Likes

Lovely pics!

5 Likes

Hah! We’ve missed all of YOU! :blush:

7 Likes

Famous Tandoori Lomita: One of the few places that serves Lamb Pulao on Friday.

N Cafe Gardena: Good all around but their Wagu Keema Curry is so good seldom venture other dishes.

Mama Says Torrance: I go there for pasta dishes. A notch below Pasta Sisters, but best value in the neighborhood.

Next Kitchen Long Beach : Signature is Beef Wellington. Very good flavor, but slightly on the salty side. Small batch egg tart, rivals Jim’s Bakery.

Big Island Palos Verdes. Just want to add SPAM & EGGS BRIOCHE to the mix. Ask for 70% sauce.

San Pedro Bread San Pedro: The Corner Store sells them on Tuesday and Friday.

Chinollo Carson: Korean Fusion. I prefer the Pork Belly Banh Mi, and Saltado Peruano with steak.

Fiesta Barbeque Carson: I usually get the chicken. The skin is nicely crisped.
Sweet Rice Gardena: No need to go to Thai Town if I need a quick noodle fix.

Gaya Korean Tofu Torrance: Serves more than tofu soup. Probably best in the area for general Korean food.

10 Likes

Welcome back!!!

3 Likes

Thanks everyone! :heart:

Great recs from @liq. I particularly love:

N Cafe in Gardena

Mentaiko butter spaghetti with squid, oba leaves, and nori:

Ribeye and salmon bento:

Sweet Rice in Gardena

Khao soi:

Boat noodle soup:

Gaya Korean in Torrance

Black goat stew:

Galbi:

Banchan:

18 Likes

What @TheCookie said!
Hope you are well, @thechez5.

3 Likes

Love the south bay posts! Welcome back

1 Like

Thanks for posting the photos. I’ll update with some photos later.

2 Likes

Welcome back!

1 Like

So happy to see your postings again! Coincidentally was bouncing around the South Bay today and i thought about you and your posts and was sad. What joy to come home and see a post from you!

2 Likes

Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone. And thank you, @Jase. That’s so nice to hear!

I’d like to add a couple more places.

Barsha in Hermosa Beach

Bone marrow with bacon marmalade and arugula citrus salad:

Lamb meatballs (m’hamsa stew, labneh):

Braised beef cheeks (Tunisian cous cous, tomato confit, potato, shishito, currants):

I loved all the dishes here. They are a nice change from what you usually get in the South Bay. Plus there’s the added bonus of supporting a Black-owned business.

Neno’s Norooz in Wilmington

Koobideh and albaloo polo:

Neno’s is my favorite Persian spot in the South Bay. Their kebabs are always juicy and seasoned well.

Inka Wasi in Rolling Hills Estates

Lomo saltado with habaneros and eggs added, and salsa criolla:

We have quite a few Peruvian spots, but I like Inka Wasi the best. They’re owned by the same family as El Pollo Inka, but I think the food at Wasi is a lot better. Since I’m someone who loves heat with everything, I like having the option to order the lomo saltado sautéed with habaneros.

Taqueria El Compita Estilo Tijuana in Wilmington

Carne asada and chorizo tacos:

This taco stand was mentioned on another thread, but it’s worth mentioning again. Sure, it’s not on the Tire Shop level but it is very good in its own right and definitely satisfies that craving when you don’t feel like driving to Tire Shop. They are only open on weekends and are located on the sidewalk of the storage place by PCH and Figueroa, along with a bunch of other food stands (al pastor tacos, churros, mini pancakes, etc.).

19 Likes

Welcome Back!
How do you feel about Kotosh?

1 Like

Thanks!
I really like Kotosh, but I prefer their fried seafood dishes to their lomo saltado and other stuff these days. The chicharron mixto al ajo and the jalea mixta especially.

1 Like

Great stuff as usual. Have you gone to Muodu lately? We haven’t gone since pre-pandemic. Hoping they’ve kept up the quality.

I switched jobs and no longer work in the South Bay and don’t have as much opportunity as before to go exploring down there like I used after work.

@Jase I’ve only gotten takeout from Muodu before and it was just their orange chicken and fried rice, which was fine. And I’m sorry to hear that you no longer work around here! Seems like our food scene is improving lately.

———————

Aunty Maile’s in Torrance remains my favorite for Hawaiian. Very good furikake chicken & teriyaki beef and furikake shrimp & kalbi plates. The lilikoi cake was tasty but a little dry.

10 Likes

Mendocino Farms is opening a location at Rolling Hills Plaza in Torrance in 2022. I know it’s a chain, but I’m a fan. :woman_shrugging:t5:

7 Likes

I’m kinda into that even though it’s a chain I’ll always take more food options in that area since there’s not a ton nearby

2 Likes

Wing Ferno in Gardena has really good lemon pepper wings. I usually get a 20 pc flats only and they are tender and crunchy. The Nashville flavor is also damn good and pretty spicy. The ranch is above average as well.

3 Likes

Do you like poke? Ali’i Fish Co has opened a Torrance branch.

4 Likes