South Bay Staples

How was the coconut ice cream? I thought about getting it but only got mango sticky rice

2 Likes

I likey. I think the coconut jelly and coconut cream are more coconutty

I love their mango sticky rice

1 Like

Steamed Buns at Tokyo Central (Pacific Plaza)

Absolutely spectacular bun! $5 but very generous with the protein. Slight subtle sweetness with the bun that I just love.

Thank you @Dommy as always your recs are 100% on point.

Fukugawa brunch. The shioyaki fish is always so damn good

7 Likes

They used to open at 6AM before quarantine. That was my quiet space to nurse a hangover with a healthy breakfast. At 11AM I’m already thinking about a hearty lunch, so I haven’t been there since 2020–literally the only reason.

4 Likes

We miss their former early hours, too.

2 Likes

Nijiya supermarket sushi best cheap sushi in the business better than Tokyo central and to go spots like kura and sushi stop. You can taste the individual rice grains and they have great chew.

10 Likes

Koshiji

Soboro to go! Tasty!

Jidaiya

Nice broth which a mix of chicken and clam. Side of soboro.

I like making easy homestyle dishes like tomato egg, and krapow so I think I might try to make soboro.

I bet Torimatsu has a great soboro.

6 Likes

I gotta get down to jidaiya

1 Like

Very good Char Siu from Nice China Cafe. Problem is they are not very consistent.

Katsu Nuna, Korean chef. Katsu itself is better than a lot of other places. Sauce is tomato base, very similar to Cantonese Baked Pork Chop Rice.

PCH Noodles. Yen Ta Fo is very good, funky and complex as it should be. Pad Thai is also nicely executed.

6 Likes

Nice will need to bookmark pch noodles.

Is there anything else that is good at nice china?

For Nice China Cafe, hard to go wrong with Shrimp with Lobster sauce, Beef Chow Mien (double side) and Mapo Tofu. His BBQ, Char Siu and roast duck, are popular and get sold out often. So call ahead if you plan have it after 2 pm or 6 pm. He forte is banquet dinning, and has regular clientele doing that. I think that’s the only time he’s excited about cooking.

2 Likes

I’m also bemoaning their discontinuation of early breakfast. I only hit it once on the way back from LAX. Incredible and worthy detour.

Any specific banquet dishes or is there a set menu?

Sadly i don’t know. They have a sample menu behind the counter. One time I asked, the waiter won’t let me see it, nor tell me what’s on the menu. I dont know whose idea was that. At some point I just gave up grovelling for a special meal. Their MO is they will make whatever is requested. I have seen a few dishes and they all look very good. One I always remember is Buddha Jump Wall served inside a winter melon. Not many people do that,especially from dingy restaurant. May be if you can round up to a table of 10 you can talk the chef directly. But you should have a partial list of desire dishes. He has these banquets (10/12) at least once or twice an month so it’s not a rare event.

1 Like

Same plaza as Kansha! New menu is coming to Kansha starting tomorrow

3 Likes

Bafang Dumpling is opening up next to Bagel Factory (same plaza as Full House and Hannam market)

4 Likes
2 Likes

Anyone have any Chinese restaurant recs that might do good banquet style dishes for CNY.

Looks like nice china cafe has some but would be open to other suggestions .

Good chance Nice China is booked within the window you wanted. Call them to see what’s available.
We are going to Sands one week after CNY. They are fully booked within the golden window. The restaurant very far for everyone attending, but supposed to be very good from reliable source. You need to call ahead for special dishes.

1 Like

Haven’t been in years, but Sea Empress in Gardena probably would offer them. Availability for CNY is another matter.

2 Likes