South Bay Staples

More Torimatsu

6 Likes

South Bay jinmi.

Winner by far is the soondae. So tender and not overly salty. Mild flavors that really allowed for the flavor of the blood and offal to show through

Gamja and jokbal were very good but not at the level of the soondae. Panchan was very good although a couple were quite salty. They had a squid panchan which i was told is very rare nowadays and it was awesome.

7 Likes

Yay I am glad you got to try the soondae! I am due for a visit too.

1 Like

I regret not getting the large soondae

1 Like

The soondae with stir fry noodles (bokkeum) is also so damn good.

2 Likes

Been missing excellent Asada here in NELA… so when we went to the recent Gold Cup Match in Dignity, we headed straight there afterwards.

It was a little late, not quite 10p and some vendors were packing up. And it was a Friday… but there indeed are far fewer vendors there. The good news is that several of the good ones are still there. Of course, Compita sets up on the sidewalk and not in the lot (I noticed way more cars parked there than in times past, not all customers, so maybe that caused friction), so I knew they were a safe bet . Just follow the smoke…

I took my brother there who automatically looked them up… He found an old LA Taco article about them and a funny little tidbit on how the Habor Breeze sometimes blows out their fire… which they just stoke again using a hair dryer…. I’ve been to Compita lots of times now… I have never seen a hair dryer…. My brother, spotted the hair dryer and instantly deemed this place cool.

And the tacos and guac…. As good as ever…. Their meat is so tender and flavorful. The guac so fresh and tastes of rich avocado. Quesataco is still our order. Worth the upcharge.

Brother order a fried quesadilla from the DF style Las Gorditas truck that is still there. He loved it, the fry was excellent and the red sauce was killer. He’s a huge chili head and jumped up at first taste.

We tried a new to us table, which is the DF style table at the end or of one of the parking lot rows.

I ordered the beef flautas. Three large flautas stuffed with meat for $10

The fry was excellent! She did not rush the order, gave it proper time in her make shift fryer and drip tray. It came with lots of wonderful fresh toppings. The beef was tender, not flossy at all. The only quibble is that it could have used more seasoning. Even a bit more salt. But that is what additional salsa is for!

Looking forward to moving back in the fall and get back to being even closer. But I am sure we’ll stop by again even before then.

15 Likes

Those flautas look good!

Top Tenders.

KOOL AID

Waffle fries option.

4 Likes

How are the tenders?

1 Like

No big crunchy batter here but the flavor of the tenders and dipping sauces are good.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip.

Kitakata Ramen has opened. Food and services are very good. Food coming out is a little slow. Wait time is not too long, for now.

2 Likes

What did you get? What are their specialities?

For me, the Green Chili Chili Shio Ramen and Juicy Fried Chicken (apptz, add juzu chili for dipping) is a must try. I had the Umakara Tan Tan Ramen which hits the spot. The broth and roasted pork belly have big flavors. But it was getting a bit salty towards the end. Note, you can specify ramen Al dente.

Btw Marugame Udon is training their staff actively, supposed to open on 3/11.

4 Likes

X 2 that was my usual order at the Costa Mesa location

1 Like

Prime Pizza Gundo location. Meatball sandwich. Good meatball sandwich. Marinara is on the side. Use all of it.

Offset Coffee is a pass for me. Didn’t like the drinks or the service. I’ll stick to Verve, Klatch, The Boy and the Bear, and my usual order at Philz (Soul Train, hot, house way).

6 Likes

went to Kitakata today, very good but the thicker wheat noodles aren’t something I find myself craving (I want the bouncier alkaline noodles instead of Kitakata’s kalguksu-like version). But overall very good, and already super popular.

3 Likes

Which ramen did you get?

@JeetKuneBao better than the pizza?

I got the standard one and the green chili broth. both were excellent broths but it’s the noodles I have more of an issue with. just not my cup of tea as I like bouncier/chewier alkaline (though they try and emulate that with the wavy noodles).

2 Likes