South bay sushi

Surprised to hear that New York has comparable sushi for cheaper. Wonder how they’ve been able to control costs. I’m skeptical of the opinion that the high end is pulling up prices and have been running under the assumption that all costs have been increasing for a variety of supply-side reasons. Or maybe its those COVID loans coming due that I read about in the news recently. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

good sushi has never been cheap. it’s the nature and rate of price increases that concerns me.

1 Like

I actually think that sushi now is finally at the price point it always should have been.

that’s a position that’s good for people with deep wallets, i guess…

2 Likes

It’s not a popular position, but it is more sustainable for the future of fisheries (in case anyone in our grandkids’ generation who would also like to enjoy sushi).

1 Like

like i said, a position that’s good for people with deep wallets.

maybe while sushi should not be cheap as chips, the rate at which prices have gone up in the u.s has quite a bit to do with the willingness of people with deep wallets to pay for greater exclusivity.

1 Like

meanwhile, those who really care about sustainable fisheries might demonstrate that first and foremost by stopping eating particularly endangered fish. but i don’t see much sign of that on ftc or elsewhere.

2 Likes

it’s a similar price/demand story, by the way, these days in the world of whisky, particularly bourbon. the entry of more people into the market with a high tolerance for high prices, and aspirational desires to match, has meant even very ordinary whiskey is now being sold in a manner once reserved for a few genuinely highly allocated labels.

3 Likes

It’s terrible. The availability in the market and the markups are outrageous.

2 Likes

more detail on this disappointing meal posted on the blog today, for those who care to look.

Sorry for the lackluster meal.

I think the Koi experience is much better at the counter.

In my experience, they’ve been really good at sharing where they source their seafood and execution at the counter has always been solid. That being said, I’ve not had a chance to come back since the pandemic and I’m not sure who’s manning the counters now.

3 Likes

yeah–we’d put ourselves down for first available. but given how long we’d already waited, didn’t want to give up the table.

At a similar price point, I would pretty strongly recommend U-Zen in Santa Monica (though I haven’t been there since I left LA ~8 months ago), but only if you sit at the bar.

1 Like

What’s the deal with the rice at U-Zen? It tastes like plain rice with no vinegar seasoning at all?!? The neta were pretty good, I was impressed & I’d go at least twice a month if they did the rice properly as it is I just can’t…

The rice definitely does seem less seasoned than at many other places, but I wouldn’t go so far as it call it unseasoned. (Overall rice quality is definitely holding them back, though, yeah.)

from seal beach, for that price point i’d just go to nozomi. but will put u-zen on the list for if we’re ever in santa monica.

there must surely be some good mid-level sushi places in costa mesa?

What’s the latest for sushi in the South Bay (excluding the priciest options like I-naba and Sonagi)? My preferred vibe leans towards intimate/mom-and-pop over pristine zen temple.

My shortlist (none of which I’ve been to), possibly for omakase:

Sushi Nozomi- heard you they give crappy service to non-asians
Kantaro
Chitose
Toshi Sushi
Kanpachi
Wadatsumi

Thoughts?

I had a pretty meh experience at nozomi esp given the price point.

Wadatsumi is known for their chirashi and sashimi which I thought were high quality for the price.

Kanpachi has great value but I wouldn’t go expecting top tier their qpr is great tho.

I’ve heard good things about Chitose and toshi but haven’t been. Try these and report back! Chitose is difficult to get rez the week of.

3 Likes

Absolutely love Wadatsumi at lunch or dinner. Lately become obsessed with their temaki.

4 Likes

At Nozomi, stick with the negitoro roll.

2 Likes