South Bay Yakitori - What's with the waits?

Had to pick up the (not so) Old Lady at LAX at 5:45 yesterday (Sunday) and was really in the mood for either Torihei or Shin Sen Gumi Yakitori.
I was really surprised that I could get into neither -
Torihei had nothing for a few hours (I tried to reserve by phone when they opened at 5:30) and the wait list at SSG was more than an hour (at 6 f*ing PM).
Are there any other good yakitori options?
If not, some budding entrepreneur ought to be opening yakitori joints in the South Bay - big time demand!

We ended up at Sanuki No Sato which was fine but not extraordinary in any way…good Udon.

eating at SSG is usually not a hurried experience and the grillmasters occasionally drink too much…

Raku isn’t open on Sunday either, so like you said, big time demand!

1 Like

Try Torimatsu

2 Likes

Also:

1 Like

Thanks @sgee and @Starchtrade

I have heard of Torimatsu but not Koshiji or Hasu !
Nice to have options. Any comprehensions of these places with regards to quality and crowds? All take reservations which is a big up over SSG.

Hi @CiaoBob,

Here’s my write up of Koshiji.

thanks

Sorry, it’s been ages since I’ve been there. Back when there was 'nuthin in LA and all the legit joints were in Little Tokyo or Southbay.

1 Like

Does anyone know of where one could purchase ready-to-grill yakitori skewers in the LA area? I’m based in the Hawthorne/Lawndale area, but willing to drive anywhere in the LA area. Was thinking there are probably some families in Torrance that do this?

I would try the Tokyo Central on Artesia.

You also check out Jon’s and Super King for ready to grill skewers. Some of these might be marinated though

There are probably some more mom n pop markets in Glendale and Anaheim but I am not too familiar with that .

2 Likes

I could prep you a yakitori set if you’re interested, DM me (i’m in the SFV)

3 Likes