Southern Italy reccos?

Might as well use the thread here to document and highlight some of our gastro adventures in the south. I think most of you have already noticed that we mainly get excited from traditional/regional foods or very slight elevations on regional classics so you’ll not find modernity or chef’s table looking things… though there’s some overlap.

So we started in Sicily for 6 days, very glad that we left Palermo after a couple and hung out in south west with Ragusa being home base. Noto and Modica were both beautiful visits as well. To get to Sicily and back we had to book airfare with layovers so we chose long ones in Zurich so tha twe can at least hang there and have big dinners. Worked out wonderfully on the way there. Very beautiful place and the food from the Vaud region was so great! Coming back the strikes canceled our flight and sadly we didn’t have time for anything on the return trip but by that time i was just happy to not walk anymore :slight_smile:

After we drove up the coast right by White Lotus Taormina and after a quick seaside seafood lunch we jumped on a ferry to mainland. Got to spend a day in Reggio Calabria, which is a kind of life long wish of mine given that my grandfather always dreamt of going there and never could (iron curtain). That memory never left me and glad we got to go there. Very lovely place with a long boardwalk and feels a bit like Baden Baden with a bit more of a posh flair as compared to Sicily.

Then we made our way toward Puglia and made it to our home base of Matera, I didn’t even realize that it’s in the Basilicata province (i wasn’t the planner). So while my wishes of spending significant time in Puglia didn’t materialize this time, Matera completely blew us away. It’s just shockingly beautiful and so so fun on the weekend. Even got to see a Verdi opera. Very low tourism in March as well. We did drive into Puglia for a day trip to a couple of towns and Alberobello and Locorotondo were hugely memorable. Puglia proper will have to be saved for another day. Lecce sadly was out of reach.

Then on to Amalfi coast which was a hillarious driving experience given that the rental gave us a big ole yank Jeep Renegade. I loved it despite the stresses of Positano driving. We just left the car in the garage for the 2 days and enjoyed the million steps and stairs. But after a good 10 days or so in the south south, getting to Amalfi and just suddenly being around tourists only rather than blending in with natives and a few tourists it was a stark and unpleasant contrast. So luckily we had a crazy view from the house and we mostly just stayed away from the crowds. We might never even go back there, just really dont like to contribute to such tourism takeovers of places, and it translates to many unplesant experiences. Gorgeous though obviously. We expected all of this.

Vesuvius and Pompei were shocking. Way way more interesting than i though. I purposely dont research things too much before going so as to experience them but it’s so much bigger than i imagined. Just glorious.

And then Napoli… sigh… we fell in love… we knew we’d like the busy energy and the craziness and it was just perfect. So so so much energy and music and i cant believe how big the old town area with small streets is. Food is another level and this pizzaphile was blown away as expected.

All of the photos are in the dump links below but ill highlight restaurants of note in follow up posts.

First meal in Italy was the not so secret anymore pastry shop at the monastery

https://imgur.com/gallery/BgA1NZH

last was three pizzas in napoli with leftovers on the plane back through zurich.

https://imgur.com/gallery/zIf08ib

7 Likes

The cloistered nunnery where there’s a little slot in the wall?

It’s a cloistered nunnery yes but not a slot in the wall, it’s a whole room you walk into with premade options and a cannoli assembly station, cash register, coffee. it’s proper now

I guess it hasn’t been an operating nunnery for a while. I was there in 1986.

omg those wild strawberries

1 Like

yea, everyone had them at the market in Palermo

1 Like

This place in Naples old town had a line from open to finish, any day of the week. We’ve seen the line into the 100s. It makes sandwiches and the dude is some kind of legend.

Many people toking on his tiks…

1 Like

So many places to highlight but today I’m going with an in demand trattoria in Napoli called Segnora Bettina. Big fun energy from the waiter we had. Incredible food and wine. People waiting outside for a second seating over 2 hours. Fun music. Just so memorable

3 Likes

When you’re in Sicily you will inevitably end up in the SouthWest unless you’re doing something silly like just going to Palermo and then leaving.

Well, when you’re in Ragusa specifically there are a few really cool options. We really loved Trattoria da Luigi… a lot… also TPCO which is a bit more modern in atmosfear but very delicious. And the cafe which turns into a crazy party at night called Primma Classe…

But today I wanted to share about Taverna Del Lupo. Ran by the sweetest owner who is all hospitality, who comes over and reads out the entire menu to you in english going over key ingridients. Super homey local food with tons of seafood specialities from his home town which is a fishing village just a half hour or so south.

The man taught us how to quickly dispatch grilled anchovies from their bones and what it takes to make a better capotana. Love this place.

3 Likes

What are his tips for caponata?

1 Like

Loved the anchovies when i was on the coast.

1 Like

Main one was a special tomato that they use, of course I don’t remember the name. It was sort of in the large cherry family. Super red. He brought some over to try and the sharp sweet / acidic flavor allows them to not add any sugar or vinegar to the caponata.

2 Likes

Decided to try a higher end pizza option in Naples and it was tremendous.

https://www.pizzeriaoliva.it/
Pizzeria Concenttina ai Tre Santi is or was a michelin star holder… Located a nice walk north of the old town, in an area most tourist don’t really explore out of some ridiculous assumption of it being riskier. We loved the bustling area with tons of street vendors, markets and shops. People coming and going, music blaring. Nobody caring about who we are or aren’t…

Honestly sad that I don’t remember what’s what but we were super impressed. Their non pizza options were stellar and i sadly didn’t photograph everything

this oily pan pizza was to die for and a recommendation from the server.

crazy wine and as always in europe we laugh and appreciate the price… whole thing was under 100

2 Likes

Fried fresh seafood. You pick they fry while you drink beer and nothing is better .

Palermo - Mercato del Capo

One of 2 trays like this came out for under 20€

6 Likes

That looks boss.

Final entry. Commentary tomorrow

6 Likes