Spaghetti and Meatballs and other Italian classics

20 % fat to meat . Forget pork and veal they are to lean . Use ground chuck. 1 pound . 1Tbls of onion. Garlic and parsley. Dried. 2 tbls parma cheese. Tsp of salt . 2 pieces of white bread crust removed. 1 egg . 1 cup of dried bread crumbs. Mix together lightly with hands .You want a wet mixture. Take a medium sized ice cream scoop to make the meatballs and shape gently . Put on lightly greased sheet pan . Brush tops with a little olive oil . Oven at 400 . Bake 10 minutes . Turn and brush with a little more oil. Around 10 minutes more and they are done .

No you don’t forget them. It’s a tried and true Italian ratio. I buy pork from actual butchers across the street that have lovely dark, fatty meat in it. Dried onion? Dry bread crumbs? Gotta go back to the basic Italian recipe sis/bro

1 Like

Try Asian stores for fatty ground pork. I go to the Korean market if I’m making fancy meatballs.

2 Likes

Sounds great . But over 150 mile drive. Not

that’s wise… though their beef prices always seem on crack.

We grind our own pork shoulder which has plenty of fat. Gotta try this. Just ground 8# the other day.

1 Like

A grinder has been #1 on my want list for years.

Ours is the attachment to the KA stand mixer. The boneless pork shoulder IIRC was $1.89/# and our patties are four ounces. And I use it for anything from burgers to pasta/pizza topping. I think it was about $50 at the time.

1 Like

Cool. I want a handcranked one for nostalgic reasons. I was turning those for the women in the family my whole childhood

I still have my mother’s and,though I don’t use it, I would never part with it. I remember it being clamped to the kitchen table.

1 Like

Yep, that’s what i want. My initial searches are telling me that if i dont spend enough they’ll be garbage. Arg. Not something i’ll use enough to drop serious coin on.

Like this?

IMG_7569

We had two: one for nuts and poppy seeds, the other for meat. My dad usually did the grinding.

yes, just like that but with 2 grind sizes and one that works

1 Like

I didn’t do a lot of research but saw a number with two sizes for a really reasonable price.