Spoon By H

I’ve had the mandu guk right when they opened at noon twice in the last month.

Interesting…hope everything is ok over there, must’ve been some unexpected hold-up

The boba tea drinks are really average but the food is pretty good. The pork belly Mandu Guk dish is hearty. Almost like the cantonese cream soup you get at Garden Cafe then add in chunks of pork belly and really tasty dumplings.

Looked into this for you; hot food is back for lunch!

1 Like

In November [David Chang] posted on Instagram: “@spoonbyh is all that’s wonderful in the restaurant business … It’s my restaurant of the year.” Sure, I was curious but figured his mention would create a mob scene. On the phone recently Hwang mentioned that, after Chang’s shout-out, Spoon by H had its slowest two weeks since she’d opened in 2012. Apparently everyone thought it was smart to hang back.

Get the dosirak at Spoon By H!!! It’s pretty close by maybe 5 minutes or less on Beverly

1 Like

@PorkyBelly @JeetKuneBao No dosirak available on Saturdays. Only through Thursday according to their text message.
I wish Shunji was available for lunch on Saturdays.
Going to check out ADB IG feed for their special this weekend. Haven’t done Jon & Vinny’s, yet…going to be an interesting weekend.

I had Spoon By H’s Beef Short Rib Soup with Rice Cakes today.
Was really heavenly.
Rice cakes are uncooked and separate from soup (so they don’t absorb all the liquid before you get home).
So you have to boil them for a few minutes, then add to the soup.
Loved it, and especially, thoughtfulness that went into it.

3 Likes

Does Spoon By H have a menu online of what’s available to order other than the dosirak?

No.
It was a little frustrating to figure out what they will make now. There are so many good looking dishes on IG and Yelp but most are not available now.
I called them and they said to look at Instagram or Yelp for their regular menu (see below).
Which I did, and then called back and ordered the Pork Belly Dumpling Soup, which they did not have.
So I went with the Beef Short Rib Rice Cake Soup which was indeed great.

1 Like

I’ve never tried Spoon by H but Park’s BBQ is serving their short rib soup w/ rice cakes for like $10 right now. It might be my favorite in all of Ktown and half the price of Spoon by H.

4 Likes

Thanks! I’ve always been baffled as to why they don’t post a menu on their website. I was hoping for the pork belly dumpling soup to go with a dosirak, but it looks like I may be out of luck.

As of yesterday they did not have it.

Great deal. Their bean paste soup (doenjang jjigae) with brisket is really fantastic too, though it’s pricier than the galbi tang.

1 Like

does anyone have an update on this place or the owner??? she won’t accept my request to follow her IG. how sad everything that happened with the business, I hope it comes back one day :frowning:

It’s “permanently closed” per Google.

yes I know, I was just wondering if anyone is following the owner on IG. There was a big gofundme for her and she still has a lot of followers on IG though it’s private

1 Like

I follow the IG page. It seems like she does catering for events, but occasionally she’ll post a story with a food item which suggest you might be able to order direct from her. I haven’t tried yet.

1 Like

Their IG is actively posting and she’s apparently taking private orders (takeout, at least smaller than catering). Anybody had a chance to try yet?

yes and what are the available things to get?

I really did not like the boxes she made during covid sadly, but would do anything to get the soups or fried rice items she made from her original menu