Sqirl - Los Angeles

Actually just went myself for the first time last week. I went during the week at about 1130 and the wait was 15 20 min. Really not too bad.

I feel like I didn’t order properly or should have gone in a group. Got the Crispy rice salad, disco style as well. Felt it was good, but not at the level of Night+Market’s version. In comparison it felt a bit greasy and I got bored of it half way through.

Had similar problems with grease with the flat tot’s very disappointing. Willing to admit maybe I chose poorly and give it another chance.

I lived near Sqirl for two years so I went there a lot. My heavy rotation: their breakfast sandwich (always choose the optional halloumi!), the sorrel rice w/bacon side, which is very thick and crispy (I love fermented stuff so it’s not too sour for my taste), and the crispy rice. If you go with a non-experimental friend (or you yourself like to play it safe), you can’t go wrong with the breakfast sandwich. Yum! All the way.

1 Like

Not sure if it’s legit or not:

Update on 7/13: Jessica Koslow admits that moldy jam’s real.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LosAngeles/comments/hq21ni/sqirl_restaurant_had_mold_growing_on_jams_in_a/

Accusations.

Sqirl’s response.

@matthewkang @euno Is Eater going to do any investigative reporting on this moldy sitch or Jessica Koslow’s alleged mistreatment of her former employees?

2 Likes

The picture of the bucket of jam is disgusting

3 Likes

I guess I can say that I’m glad I’ve never been there.

3 Likes

What was sqrl’s response for those of us not on reddit anyone know? That picture is pretty disgusting.

That’s a real indictment on the leadership of that restaurant from ownership to the Chefs. Especially if it was going on for years :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Here’s what they posted

SQIRL Response on Twitter

Wowww these allegations are pretty damning if true check out joe rosenthals insta

Lots of documenting and screen shots

https://instagram.com/joe_rosenthal?igshid=1hy2mjmhiemq9

1 Like

Also Not just about the mold either. Her treatment of her staff (hiding them in the secret jam room) and her former cdc…

Clipped his last choice quote by mistake: “koslow is the trump of the cooking world”

5 Likes

Yeesh dumpster fire all around glad it’s being brought to light!

2 Likes

I think Sqirl disabled all comments on their IG account.

2 Likes

… and now a new handle is born:
Screenshot_2020-07-12

7 Likes

Considering how much coverage Sqirl gets from LA Times and Eater, I feel that it’s only right if they investigate this situation and report accordingly.

5 Likes

There one on Instagram @sqirltruth

Selling moldy jam is gross and illegal. Treating employees like crap and not giving proper credit to collaborators is low life type of stuff. Those responses on IG are beyond weak.

Wonder how Dave Chang is going to respond to these allegations since he is Sqirl fanboy #1.

Like @attran99 I’m glad I never went to Sqirl. But I did buy a jar of jam once from Blackmarket Bakery.

6 Likes

Probably same way he responded about Meehan. Didn’t know. But having spoke to someone who has staged there and also another local restauranteur who hired former sqirl staff, all these allegations about treatment of her staff was common knowledge in the industry.

In some ways, I find that almost more disturbing than the moldy jam. Yikes.

Maybe in the US, but a mold expert does not think it is dangerous, actually, depending on the type of mold and how much of the jam is affected. The mold expert cited by SQIRL is mentioned in this article:

And how much they charge. Their food ain’t cheap.

btw bon_javier in the ig comments is the same Javier who was doing dinner popups at Trois Familia.

Interesting article found in the twitter thread

5 Likes

I still think the future is female!

I hope the original chefs get credit for their groundbreaking recipes for porridge, avocado toast, and brown rice salad.

Definitely a Sqirl/Onda fanboy here. I’m always a little reticent on stuff where I don’t know the background re: who gets credit for recipes, but mistreatment of workers is never acceptable