Sqirl - Los Angeles

That’s what I read as well. It was served in the restaurant to customers who ordered toast, etc. but not bottled and sold.

The mold was on the bulk buckets of jam. The jam they sold in jars was hot-pack canned so no mold.

They scraped off the surface mold in the second kitchen, so customers might have eaten some invisible mold but would not have breathed in spores.

That’s not the accusation though. I get if you don’t wanna believe Joe Rosenthal, but the claim is that none of the jam was properly canned, with fake Julian code and improper oven sterilization. And all of it was moldy.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17872613821781805/

“House jam” was not canned, it was just kept in plastic buckets. Joe Rosenthal’s just repeating whatever people tell him. I see nothing in that Instagram story about fake Julian codes.

I’ve seen no plausible claim that the stuff they sold in jars was not properly canned. It will not keep as long as conventional jam because of the lower amount of sugar.

You are right and totally correct! All of your opinions and thoughts are infallible and you will have the last word on everything!

Lock the thread!

15 Likes

“I totally canned my stuff properly”, said the proprietor with an illegal prep kitchen serving jam with scraped off mold to customers.

10 Likes

There’s a valid question about giving the benefit of the doubt, but a good bit of these accusations have been borne out.

Around the 30th slide mentions fake Julian code. It’s in there, though it’s just an accusation. And the stuff after the Bon Appetit slides gets into how she didn’t properly oven sterilize.

I do understand if you don’t believe it, but it’s in the IG thread.

2 Likes

Koslow demonstrated her improper canning method on a Food Network show, so I guess there’s no need to rely on anonymous hearsay for that. Starts around 3’10":

Oven canning is a bad idea that was discredited long ago.

And she’s not doing even doing that wrong thing right. The jars were supposed to go in the oven for 30-45 minutes depending on the type of fruit.

https://ttu-ir.tdl.org/bitstream/handle/2346/45533/ttu_hcc001_000084.pdf

2 Likes

You are acknowledging that her canning technique was improper and could have led to contaminated product being sold in her retail jars? Great.

You acknowledge that she served moldy jam to guests. Your point about inhaling mold spores is conceded. A more generous reading of @boogiebaby’s post would have allowed us to avoid this semantic derailment about breathing in mold spores vs eating mold.

Any other arguments that you have before we can put this one to bed?

10 Likes

This is one of my favorite threads in FTC. Just sayin.

7 Likes

I found an authoritative source for how Koslow handled the jarred jams: herself in a video. Who knows what other solid evidence is out there to back up or refute the loose claims and hearsay in screen captures from anonymous sources posted to the amateur journalist’s Instagram slide show?

Did Koslow actually think standing jars upside down was hot-pack canning? She didn’t do the final step. Where the hell did she get the idea that that was canning?

How often if ever her guests were served jam with mold per se in it is unknown, but beside the point. From what experts have said, the scraped jam, even if mold-free, could still have contained mycotoxins, which is why it should have been thrown out.

There’s nothing semantic about mold allergies being triggered by inhaling spores.

Maybe because she missed that session in her county funded master food preserver program… pple in her class have chimed in saying she missed more than the required days. Also from other master preservers she didn’t hold her end of the bargain and didn’t do the required teaching and volunteering and straight to profiting for herself.

6 Likes

I drove by Sqirl yesterday at 1pm and even though they were open, I didn’t see any customers. Obviously, since they’re only doing take out, this may not mean much.

1 Like

mold now available through tock

9 Likes

1 Like

Latke-Tot?

1 Like

Yeah. I didn’t like it. Good texture, weird flavor.

Maybe from the “flax egg.”

Looks beautiful and definitely Instagram-able but over fried

About the same color as the menu photo, so seems like they do it intentionally.