St John at the Platform?

What a get! but i don’t know about the location

5 Likes

Wow. What the fuck? That is weird. I mean, it is amazing, but sometimes I wonder if restaurants should just remain of a place…

That said. I live in Culver. I love St. John. And I am very excited.

1 Like

Jaw on the floor.

It may be odd, but when I was there last…I noticed that the developer/investor of the Platform are from London. They had propaganda along one of the sides of the building. Apparently, they have at least one other development like Platform in London.

1 Like

wow huge news

Over drinks at Culver City steakhouse Dear John’s last week, Gulliver said he and Henderson had chosen Los Angeles “perversely, because it’s what you can do with the fresh produce.” The duo has been traveling to L.A. for years, often staying with their friend, the chef Mary Sue Milliken, and eating widely — at Animal, Bavel, and fellow Brit April Bloomfield’s the Hearth and Hound while it was open.

According to Gulliver, after he and Henderson declined the opportunity at the Row, the same brokers took them to Platform. They were eating lunch outside at Roberta’s and got to chatting with Carlo Mirarchi, the chef of Roberta’s, whom they knew from trips to New York. He spoke well of the developers and the arrangement he’d entered into, and his restaurant was full of “young people,” per Gulliver, and that’s when the pieces started to fall into place.

4 Likes

Between Dear John’s & St. John, BOTH in Culver City, we are in apostolic times indeed…

5 Likes

Not that they need any help. But no reviews of Dear John’s so far

St. John’s gusty pleasures

What the hell!!! I hope it’s good so that I can be excited about this. St John is literally the only place i rec to friends visiting London

1 Like

It’s right at a Metro stop. Big plus for some demographics.

By the time this is open, the entire huge complex at the station, including HBO’s HQ, will be open. And all the Amazon workers going to the Culver steps and Apple workers moving into the area will be there too. There is a ton of development going on in Culver.

The real question to me is: do people in this city want to eat the kind of food they serve at St. John? It’s kind of hard to imagine the people eating salads at Margot and getting colorful boba ordering pheasant and trotter pie and liver, bacon, and mash plates. But I’ve been wrong before, and maybe St. John will adjust to the market a bit.

2 Likes

yup, that’s why i was wondering about the location. I’ve always felt the restaurants in that area were usually safer as far as menu was concerned. It’s kinda like Old Town Pasadena

Right. You don’t see a lot of offal-heavy places in this area. That said, you don’t really see a lot of offal-heavy places in LA, period. Will be interesting.

It’s five miles from Animal and Chi Spacca.

and we all know what happened to the cannibal.

2 Likes

Animal is no St. John. There are tons of items on that menu that are extremely accessible. St. John is a whole different beast.

1 Like

And while we’re on the topic: Whatever happened to those Fine Young Cannibals?

Nevermind, that question pretty much answers itself. ;-D

Only a handful of St. John’s dishes are offal. Not wildly different from Animal.

https://www.animalrestaurant.com/menu

I am going to bang bang John!

4 Likes

There are some on here, including this one: Dear Johns on Culver. Or did you mean professional reviews?