Steak on the Westside recs please?

We decided on Jar. Thanks for reminding me - I’ve always loved it.

Every westside restaurant idea just wasn’t getting anyone excited, Jar is perfect for so many reasons – and it’s not loud.

Roof views are fine there, I agree. But stick to drinking there only, cuz the kitchen cannot execute. Jean-Georges needs to come out to L.A. to right this ship.

I love their duck fried rice. Not really fried rice, but still damn tasty nonetheless.

Like haute Pioneer Chicken’s spicy rice with duck meat.

Hello there, I am bumping an old topic - where to get a good steak, kind atmosphere on the westside? Our starting point is in West LA, and my eating companion is in her 80s.

I was wondering about Golden Bull - is it any good? I’d love a place like Dunsmoor but westside.

Perhaps Fia Steak on Wilshire in SM, Dear Johns on Culver in Culver City, or Charcoal on Washington in Venice. I like the steaks at American Beauty in Venice, too, but the atmosphere there might not meet your requirements. I have only ever had the roast beef at Golden Bull, which is quite good.

3 Likes

Charcoal
Baltaire

Golden Bull - never been but I think it is pretty well liked and supposedly has great onion rings:

1 Like

I enjoy most things at Golden Bull, but not their steaks. Ironic, as it’s a steakhouse. My favorite steaks on the Westside are:

Violet Bistro - charming French bistro in Westwood. Their steak frites au poivre is one of my favorite dishes in LA - the steak and fries are both exquisite. Nice indoor and outdoor seating options. I think this would fit the bill really well. The people there are very nice and it feels closer to a friendly neighborhood restaurant than a corporate establishment. The owner is often in, she’s very gracious.

Dear John’s - eat indoors for a proper old school vibe, though the patio is nice too

Baltaire - pricey but fantastic with an upscale steakhouse atmosphere

Boa - a small step below Baltaire, but still quite good

4 Likes

My Thanksgiving dinner from 2022 at Dear John’s was so disappointing food-wise that I have no desire to return (and one of the low points was the steak). Not sure if it was just an off-night for them b/c our other visit (pre-pandemic) was terrific.

The ambiance and service are very good.

Love the fries (and rest of the food and ambiance) at Violet.
I don’t really think of it as a steak joint but I have enjoyed the steak.
Wish they changed the menu once in a while - or even offered occasional specials. But what they do is really solid.

2 Likes

Meat on Ocean in Santa Monica I like better than BOA.

2 Likes

Thank you, all! I forgot to factor in my thinking just how particular this dining companion is. I suggested Golden Bull or Violet.

She critiqued my choices, and then told me she’d prefer Birdie G’s. Soooo, I’ll put the AAR in the Birdie G’s thread when time comes.

2 Likes

Meat on Ocean is great if only because they have no corkage fee.

1 Like

Yup, like their sister restaurant Water Grill. I’ve made good use of that policy.

FWIW, I was at Birdie G’s recently and really enjoyed their steak a poivre.

2 Likes

They dry age some of their steaks in house, from Brandt farms IIRC. The dry aged one we had recently was good.

2 Likes

Had the Kogi Flatiron at Birdie G’s last night and it was delicious.

2 Likes

Thanks! I got it too, and put my thoughts over in the Birdie G’s thread.