Stella - weho

Does ikura refer to any fish eggs? I always though it was salmon eggs in particular, but I’m not sure why I thought that.

How were the bagged cookies? They seem out of place.

We told the waitress we were in a hurry to get to a concert and didn’t have time for dessert, so the cookies may have been a nice “thank you” gesture. I’m not a cookie person. Peony?

some more menu items from recent visits

@rlw @boourns @CiaoBob @beam review forthcoming?

mozzarella grigliata & canadian olive oil

panzanella, wong’s tomatoes, lambrusco vinegar, aged sheep ricotta

agrumi misti, seasonal citrus, caper leaves, fennel heart, bottarga

salumi & gnocco fritto, dominick’s weekly selections

salmone, dry aged ora king, squid ink salt, agretti, smoked olive oil

merluzzo, dry aged black cod, chili bergamot, seaweed, citrus dressing

carpaccio di manzo, wagyu tongue, pistacchio verde, saba

carne cruda, hand cut milk fed veal, caper leaves, white anchovy

specialita della casa su filindeu

capesante, live diver sea scallop, bergamot lemon, fresh fennel pollen

spizzulus, polpette bianche, lemon, parmigiano, sweet butter

lorighittas, nero di seppia, monterey bay squid, chickpea grattugiato

funghi, vito’s chantrelles, gorgonzola dolce, mascarpone, marjoram

carbonara, taleggio, guanciale, hens yolk, pecorino, black pepper

burrata pugliese, pomodoro passata, fresh black uncinato truffle

capesante, sea scallop, burro bianco, trout caviar, agretti

gamberoni grigliata - grilled santa barbara spot prawns, smoked burro bianco, bergamot lemon

tette della monaca | meyer lemon diplomatica

9 Likes

IMO, some good to excellent dishes, and uneven execution. Spaghetti, squid ink pasta, carpaccio di manzo, salumi & gnocco fritto were memorable for me. Pork > duck here, really liked the texture of the pork pluma…not to take anything away from the duck, which was also good. Su filindeu was interesting and I’m glad we got such an unusual pasta. It’s a very rustic and simple dish that I’m not sure will be worthwhile to most people. Truffle dishes generally had good truffle flavor and were satisfying.

On to the misses: Carbonara pizza was too salty, not sure how that happened as the guanciale seemed thin, but was unpalatably salty. Sea urchin pasta was a miss for me, not enough flavor and I found the pasta undercooked in the center. Spot prawns were not worth the money (and I love shrimp).

3 Likes

spot prawns were bad and we should have been sent them back but it was too late. the body was mush, my guess is the prawns died before they got cooked.

2 Likes

I think you definitely got a dud, mine wasn’t quite that bad, but not the best I’ve ever had.

Is it spot prawn season?

‘This fishery targets spot prawn operating from Central CA southward to the Mexican border. The fishery is divided into two regions: North of Point Arguello, which is open from August 1–April 30; and south of Point Arguello, which runs from February 1–October 30. Fishing is concentrated around submarine canyons.’

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/national/marine-mammal-protection/california-spot-prawn-pot-fishery-mmpa-list-fisheries#:~:text=The%20fishery%20is%20divided%20into,is%20concentrated%20around%20submarine%20canyons.

4 Likes

Excellent info. I just pop into 99 Ranch and see if they have any of the critters in the live tanks lol…

2 Likes

that’s how it is in a lot of italy i found on our last trip… on purpose… .so goes the trend

2 Likes

A common objective definition of al dente pasta is that there is still a thin undercooked, white portion in the center.

I think Funke comes close to this. Restaurants like Bestia boil about two minutes longer.

Putting aside tastes preferences, the less pasta is cooked the lower its glycemic index.

2 Likes