Stevie's Creole Cafe On Pico?

No.
IIRC, MTC has no booze.
In which case I don’t question the strategy at all.

Oh bummer @CiaoBob. You’re right! Now I’m worried about M2C, not Stevie’s.

I love that Alisa uses a lot of organics, humane, compostable (insert trending food word) products and keeps the grease to a minimum. Plus I need her shrimp & cheesy grits and black-eyed pea stew on a regular basis.

Now I have mixed emotions. Stevie is a family friend. Hmmm… is the block big enough for both of them? Hopefully.

Never been to My 2 Cents - was on the way today based on this thread - when I realized Gus’s Fried Chicken had to be tried first. Gus’s was amazing. Mid-City is heating up!

1 Like

Good choice. I don’t order the chix at M2C. Figuring if it was a standout I’d have read or heard about it, as Angelenos are on the look out for good fried chicken. Curious to read your honest take on Gus’s.

FYI… My Two Cents is not loved by all. Their healthier take is not like Dulans or Marilyn’s. Note: Our @Chowseeker1999 was not impressed. But living in the neighborhood we have found our favorites - shrimp & cheesy grits, black-eyed pea stew, oxtail tacos, above average gumbo. Some love the po’ boys. Very good desserts.

True… Mid-City is definitely coming up. Restaurants need to have their A game.

Loved it.
I believe @Chowseeker1999 had some salt issues with Gus’s, but for me I am pretty sure it would be just about impossible to over salt fried chicken. The crust had enough flavor to brighten the chicken without overwhelming it and the spice level was nice (and could be adjusted up, if desired, with Louisiana Hot Sauce, which is on every table). Unlike other Southern spicy fried chicken purveyors that have recently graced our community, dealing with the spice level at Gus’s doesn’t require Haz Met gloves and a DEFCON 1 evacuation of all life forms within a few square miles of the joint.
I did not get any sides but I loved the plastic “go-cups” of cold soda refills, just like they do down South.
My 3 Piece Lunch:

1 Like

We had the same take as Chowseeker. Excuse my talking about price, but they’re also charging the same as the folks using Mary’s Chicken. But I have to say, that does look like a good plate of chicken! Better than we had. And yes, their spice level is doable. Will try Gus’s again. Smart skipping the sides. I haven’t quite gotten the bang bang concept down. But was thinking chicken at Gus’s, sides at M2C.

you have my permission
I think it was 15 for the three pieces and the endless Diet Coke
seems fair enough I suppose

Maybe they are getting better with time. One thing I really, REALLY should have mentioned in my mini-review: they are cooking with 100% peanut oil. I smelled it as I walked in and I tasted on the chicken (and on my hands) throughout the feast. There is no substitute if you want that authenitc Down South taste. H.Ray’s does it right too, but so many other So Cal places cook in so-called “healthier” oils. I’ll have a salad when I want a salad but don’t serve me non-peanut oil fried chicken please.

Yes… has to be peanut oil! I’m a pretty good chicken fryer, partly the reason for being so picky. I wouldn’t think of using any other oil. Still haven’t tried Howlin’ Ray’s :slight_frown:. In the meantime, Gus’s is close and has more convenient hours.

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

You must try Howlin’ Ray’s one of these days! :smile:

Hi @CiaoBob,

Glad you liked it. :slight_smile: Yah if salt isn’t a deterrent it’s fine and convenient for the location and hours.

I would say Howlin’ Ray’s Level 2 and 3 heat levels are much more refined and doable nowadays (we’ve tried their Level 2 multiple times and Level 3 is also pretty light on the heat), so you can lay your PTSD about the Inferno Heat you had last time to rest! :wink: :yum:

1 Like

I know. As I was typing I was thinking Chowseeker is going to scold me. My boss is in town. As soon as she goes we’re taking a week off to just mess around. Howlin’ Ray’s is on the list!

1 Like

i will defer to the experts and everyone else smarter than me (which is, like, everyone) but wouldnt that taste be lard, not peanut oil?

I didn’t think this was possible either until one fried chicken night at Superba Food and Bread. I’m still retaining water two years later.

That said, I didn’t find the chicken at Gus’s oversalted either.

Years ago I had a poor bo’ at Stevie’s on the Strip. It was good, not great.
I never made it to the late Stevie’s on Ventura, but know that before it closed it was owned by Bobby Brown. Maybe Bobby had too much going on to attend to business?

Not for frying chicken… peanut oil.

1 Like

it’s possible i’m pretentiously old school:
lard. cast iron skillet. pan, not deep, fried.
stipulated: hard to do for a crowded restaurant on
a daily basis.

1 Like

Old school: lard for pie crust or fried hand pies. Crisco (yuk) or peanut oil for frying chicken. And yes to the cast iron skillet. :kissing_heart:

we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. no big whup.

1 Like

Corn Muffins

These are from a box of Jiffy type corn muffin mix. To be expected, but I like 'em.

Gumbo on Rice

All Creoles have their own version of gumbo and their own preference for it. This is a brown roux based gumbo, my favorite. This particular one has pork andouille sausage, chicken sausage, tender chicken meat, shrimp and crab. I’m not completely up on varieties of crab. These legs are wide and split, for you to easily pull out a nice sweet hunk of crab, w/fork or finger - making it easier to maneuver in a restaurant. The base was surprisingly smokey (maybe from the andouille). Is this the best? I can’t say. But we enjoyed it very much.

Fried Chicken, Red Beans & Rice, Collard Greens

This was supposed to be a half chicken, but was a thigh, 2 legs and a wing. Anyway, :heart_eyes: we love this fried chicken. It has the simplistic, golden brown, crispy skin, that comes from a simple coating, and juicy meat that comes from using the right oil, temp & time. It is not bold. But they provide a spicy ranch dressing, which is tasty, but gilding the lily. A splash of Louisiana hot sauce is perfect.

The greens were unsurprisingly a little over-cooked and salty, but had the right amount of vinegar and flavor for our taste. The biggest fail was the red beans & rice… yes that is a thin, dry layer of beans over rice.

There is no beer, wine or liquor yet. The kitchen is small and seems to be a little haphazard. There is one picnic table out back. And the bathroom? I’ll put this delicately… @PorkyBelly will not be taking pictures.

Stevie was there being his gregarious self. There were people there who have known him for years and glad to have him back in the 'hood, plus a nice mix of neighborhood peeps.

I still like the newer, healthier soul food kitchens - where you leave feeling like you might have done something good for your body. But Stevie’s is like gran mommie’s kitchen (with a couple of modern twists).

He’s off to a good start. We’ll keep updating (Chowseeker style).

5 Likes

good looking prices!!! i’m thinking that’s going to put the squeeze on my2cents pretty hard. going to try tomorrow

1 Like