Stevie's Creole Cafe On Pico?

Yep! Southern food benefits from brightness “At the table”. That is why you should ask for extra pickles at Gus.

–Dommy!

2 Likes

Well, @Chowseeker1999. We had the Fried Chicken again (no picture). It was even saltier and more overcooked.

They’re not set-up for Yelp messaging, so I sent an email… no response. We’ll see if they got the message and improve.

You know I’ve been a Stevie’s Fried Chicken cheerleader. But this may be a case of a great start and that’s all.

Sooo bummed :disappointed:.

Hi @TheCookie,

Ah real bummer. :frowning: Hopefully they can fix the issues in their kitchen, or else, as you say, it’s time to move on. :frowning:

1 Like

I don’t know why I don’t eat here more. Run here for this shrimp and grits

3 Likes

Shrimp 'n grits, bro?
WTF is that???
I have no idea what I am looking at but it certainly doesn’t look like any shrimp and grits I have ever seen or eaten…

For reference:
NOLA Style

Non-NOLA

3 Likes

Is that an awesome blossom chopped up in a bowl? Lol

2 Likes

It’s what you’re eating but with amazing fried onions on top .dope combo!

i should have taken a pic after i slid the panties i mean onions off

3 Likes

This explains a great deal. I first had shrimp 'n grits in LA (I think), so when I ordered it the one time I was in New Orleans, I was like, “And what is this???” when the server put the dish down in front of me.

Dude, TMI…

There are tons of places in LA serving traditional shrimp and grits… there’s even one with a couple of blocks of Stevie’s

The only difference here is fried onion, which you can opt out of

I know virtually nothing about Creole food (would that the right term?), but the NOLA dish in @CiaoBob’s pic looks like it’s drenched in way more sauce. The stuff I’ve had in LA seems more like his 2nd pic (far less sauce and a LOT of grits). I assume the first pic is probably more commonly found in NOLA?

Which pic more closely matches your dish below the fried onions?

it’s more like the non-nola pic with blackened shrimp and then the onions… there’s a creole version (with the dark roux based sauce you’re craving) and just soul food version, which i’m used to seeing. so to that end i’m retracting my statement… there aren’t TONS fo places serving that dark saucy shrimpNgrits here… there are places doing ettoufe though, which that’s similar to

1 Like

I love ètoufèe and it’s so good on grits or polenta. I don’t even need the shrimps.

3 Likes

YOU’RE BACK!!! :grin:

Very glad! You were missed.

4 Likes

Stevie’s is still around? Great.

My Two Cents. I :heart: their Shrimp & Grits.

Like @Bookwich with the ètoufèe I don’t really even need the shrimp. The sauce is like crack to me.

I will definitely have to try Stevie’s. Maybe a side-by-side comparison bang bang. We’ll call this a fatty bang. With omegas as a chaser!

3 Likes

Now that looks like shrimp and grits! Gotta try it!

2 Likes

It’s a really nice dish - good corn grits, nice creamy, good texture, shrimp cooked right, right amount of cheese… and that sauce! You don’t feel yucky afterward. She did a really good job with that one.

1 Like

Agree. I shouldn’t knock it without trying it, but with all due respect to my pal @Nemroz I am really having a tough time trying to understand how throwing a bunch of fried onions on top of shrimp and grits would be of any service to the dish.

Adds texture?

I mean I haven’t eaten any of these versions but at least conceptually I can see why it works.

Also helps season the grits. It’s like adding those crispy shallots to Congee… I love grits… but they can get tiresome…

1 Like