Straight Outta Shinjuku - Old School, Mom & Pop Japanese Pub with Oden! SHOYA [Review + Pics]

Hi @Bookwich,

Fried Smelt is good! :slight_smile:

Ah, I should be more accurate and just call it a “broth”, but I mean the broth from their large oden pot (you can see it as Natsuko-san is poaching various items being ordered). But “broth” or “dashi” doesn’t sound as descriptive, so I wanted to clarify it for those that might not know. :sweat_smile: Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

Many things here are untried but look good to me! But the grilled meat, fish and the poor little pregnant fried smelts (:disappointed_relieved:) are right up my alley… That jidori chicken :heart_eyes:.

I think oden broth is a helpful description for some. It’s making a distinction about a broth’s origin; like pot liquor from greens, or starchy water from pasta.

Okay, peeps’. We were taught there’s no such thing as a dumb question. So here it goes. What the heck is Agedashi? I had it down as a tofu preparation. But here it is as an eggplant dish… so?

Thanks!

2 Likes

And Shunji’s Agedashi Tomato (my SO’s Fav dish at Shunji, FYI).

My understanding is Agedashi = something fried (age) in a broth (dashi).

Most common (at least in USA) is, as you say tofu, but there are clearly others.

I am sure others with more knowledge will also pipe in to either help you, or correct me.

3 Likes

[quote=“CiaoBob, post:43, topic:5155”]
I am sure others with more knowledge will also pipe in
[/quote]Nope, no need. It’s pretty much what I thought. Thanks for clarifying!

…So much to learn.

Preach, Dr. CB!

3 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

I hope you get a chance to try it. :slight_smile: And the Omusubi (Rice Ball) is another wonderful example of great steamed rice (made with pride).

And yes, the Jidori Chicken is pretty spectacular. :grin:

Re: Agedashi, @CiaoBob’s explanation is spot on. :slight_smile: “age” (ah-geh) (hard “G” sound) meaning “fried” it’s also the last part of the word for the famous Japanese fried chicken dish, “kara-age”.

1 Like

Thanks Chowseeker1999 -

Yes, I caught the ‘‘age’’ = something fried. Good learning today :slight_smile:. Thanks for calling my attention to rice in your reports too.

:tomato: :eggplant: :stew:

1 Like

Oden is not high end, but simple everyday comfort food (perfect for cold weather). The ideal sake pairing here is a well structured Futsushu (common everyday cheap sake, very low polish rates), Honjozo, or a good umami rich Junmai at the most, most likely warmed/hot.

1 Like

Thanks @beefnoguy. Great advice. :slight_smile:

I’ll have to ask them next time if they serve warm / hot sake (and if the 3 Sakes offered are ideal for that or not).

I see a partial Yelp photo of the sake menu uploaded 2015, and the sakes are Karatamba, Hakkaisan, and Kenbishi.

Can’t go wrong with Hakkisan as it is a known staple.

But the Kenbishi might be the best of the three (it is also the most expensive) from a more traditional profile and enjoyment perspective, and also excellent warmed. It will be either one of two bottles from the lineup (Honjozo or Junmai)

Enjoy

1 Like

Hi @beefnoguy,

Thanks. The latest sake menu offerings are this:

• Michinoku Onikoroshi - Honjozo Sake (Miyagi, Japan)
  • Suigei Tokubetsu Junmai Sake
  • Karatamba - Honjozo Sake (Hyogo, Japan) - What we had on this last visit.
  • Hakkaisan (didn’t look at the bottle, but it was listed at $60)

I’ve had Suigei before but it was about 4 years ago, I remember it was enjoyable. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update 2:

It had been too long since our last visit to Shoya, the tiny 9 seat mom & pop shop, literally run by just 2 people, Natsuko-san and Toshi-san. As we entered there were already 2 parties seated.

It was relaxed and quiet, with some old-school (like really old sounding) Japanese tunes quietly playing in the background. My friend from Tokyo had a giant smile on her face: She said while this was before her time as well, it was a really famous OG singer by the name of Kuwata Keisuke and the song was from the 1980’s. From the tunes to the old-school handwritten menu, it feels like you’re in some little hole-in-the-wall in Shinjuku.

One of the weaknesses of this small mom and pop shop is the limited Sake menu (only 4 choices (@beefnoguy), which we had tried all of them before), so we decided to take a chance and try Shochu instead.

Iichiko - Mugi Shochu (Barley Soju):

We were prepared to be destroyed by this drink, thinking it might be similar to the Korean Firewater known as Soju :nauseated_face: but thankfully this was much better! Smoother, clean, and a fine accompaniment with Toshi-san’s dishes on this evening. :slight_smile:

Potato Salad:

As fantastic as the first time! We ordered it to report back for @bulavinaka, our resident FTC lover of great Potato Salads, and then we remembered he’s no longer here (you are missed @bulavinaka!). :cry: Creamy, nice chunks of tender Potato with enough structure, and a hint of Wasabi. If you love Japanese Potato Salads give this one a try. :blush:

Yakko - Cold Tofu:

Their Housemade Chilled Tofu was silky, delicate, with a subtle Soybean earthiness, and refreshing for the warmer evening. :slight_smile:

Kinchaku - Special Kinchaku with Whitefish & Tofu:

As delightful as before: Shoya takes their Homemade Tofu and Whitefish “pouch” and they gently stuff it with some Marinated Ground Chicken and Mushrooms, then Natsuko-san prepares it in view (she takes care of all of the Oden). The flavors of Marinated Ground Chicken and Mushrooms are savory, umami and just a tasty dish to enjoy in this little 9 seater. :slight_smile:

Hanpen - White Fish (Oden):

Supple, silky, beautifully enjoyable and nothing like the usual mass manufactured Hanpen you might get at other places.

Shoya Salad:

Shoya’s Mixed Green Salad is fine, but it’s their Housemade Miso-Mayo Dressing that elevates it.

Shishamo - Fried Smelt Fish:

A great accompaniment with the Iichiko Mugi Shochu. Nicely fried, beautifully oceanic, one of our favorites this evening. :heart:

Sudori - Stewed Vinegar Chicken with Bamboo Shoots:

This was a Daily Special for this evening, tender, moist chunks of Stewed Chicken in a Housemade Vinegar-based Sauce with Bamboo Shoots. Delicious! :blush:

Takowasa - Octopus and Wasabi:

Woo! Nice bite-sized pieces of Raw Octopus with Grated Mountain Yam and a massive punch to the face of Wasabi! :open_mouth: So refreshing and sinus-clearing for this evening! :smile: :heart:

Jidori Shio Kojiyaki - Grilled Wild Chicken:

One of our favorite dishes from previous visits, on this evening it was still tasty, but a touch less marinated, lacking the really deep, complex extra layer of flavor that we loved (from the Koji marination). We hope it’s just an off night.

Omusubi (Jyako Ume) - Rice Ball (Japanese Plum):

The Nori wrapper - when eaten immediately - had a slight crisp (barely), but the real highlight was the Gohan (Steamed Rice)! Like any great Japanese eatery, Toshi-san takes real pride in making proper Steamed Rice (not just a giant vat of mushy or too dry Rice that plagues too many Asian establishments in So Cal). It’s plump, you can discern the individual grains of Rice, it’s warm and warming to the soul! Made with love and care. My friend from Tokyo couldn’t stop smiling as she’s eating it, saying it reminds her of eating Omusubi (Rice Balls) growing up. :heart:

Shoya is still a time warp to yesteryear, transporting you to a humble little hole-in-the-wall in Japan. Hearing Natsuko-san chat it up with regulars (quietly), OG Japanese tunes that serenade you as you enjoy Oden (Poached Meats and Vegetables in Broth), little Izakaya Small Plates and some company, it’s a place that would be in our regular rotation if it were closer.

(Reservations Only - Because it’s so small.)

Shoya
1920 Pacific Coast Hwy.
Lomita, CA 90717
Tel: (310) 534-3319

8 Likes

Thanks for the updated report! Seems very dark in there.

If the updated Yelp pictures of the oden menu from February is any indicator of what they normally have, I don’t see gyu-suji! Darn. At least Meiji Seimen in Costa Mesa had it, although it was winter/seasonal offering only for oden.

Ask anyone in Japan who loves local / pop / rock music who is in their 30s and they will very likely have heard of Kuwata Keisuke and Southern All Stars. One of the greatest songwriters of his time along with Tamaki Koji (solo act and his band Anzenchitai)…although Tamaki isn’t aging very well haha. (And of course there’s also Kazutoshi Sakura and his legendary rock band Mr Children, fantastic songs, rhythms and techniques…more mainstream in approach but their lyrics really resonate if you get it), but I digress.

Someday…I’ll visit and maybe bring some super intensely geeky sake there if they allow corkage.

Wish we had a place like this up here in NorCal.

3 Likes

Hi @beefnoguy,

Thanks! :slight_smile: Shoya still has Gyu-Suji. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info on these Japanese bands and singers, I’ll have to try and look these up. I think it’s a place you’d enjoy; small, humble, old-school.

If you do go, remember to ask what their Specials are (or they might have a small hand-written sign posted up to your left as you sit down). Enjoy!

1 Like

Your reports are so appreciated. I love how you return numerous times to present an honest appraisal. Plus your photography is exquisite!

3 Likes

Hi @ebethsdad,

You are too kind! :slight_smile: Shoya is an old-school, neighborhood spot. Worth a try if you’re in the South Bay.

I love this place, but I haven’t been in a while.
Oden calls on cold nights and we don’t get many of those here, even during the winter.

How was the saltiness of the oden broth? I found it too salty on a previous visit and that is one of the reasons why I haven’t returned sooner.

Shochu is good! Spread the word.

1 Like

It wasn’t too salty, but not as light as Torihei 1.0.

1 Like

Glad to hear the Iichiko drinks well. Saw it at Costco and bought a bottle.

1 Like