Summer / Fall / Winter / Spring fruit

Could do the same thing with the melon!

1 Like

WTF???

Are these a new thing at Gelson’s (as in, just this year), or have they been offering boutique international fruit for awhile?

I’m kind of interested, but I’d really have to do it in a group. B/c, if mine tastes
 well, not like I would expect a $6 strawberry to taste, did I just get a bad one, or is it all just about appearance?

2 Likes

It’s the first time I’ve noticed exotic international fruit. They have carried Harry’s Berries in the past but first time seeing fruit of this level.

2 Likes

Hard to imagine those boutique berries tasting any better than Harry’s at their best.

3 Likes

The melon is no doubt delicious. But don’t forget that Japan is really into marketing gimmicks, too. Just because it is Japanese doesn’t mean it is delicious or worth the asking price. I have never had this particular melon, but I would rather try buy from a local farmer’s market when in-season.

Also, one element of these “gift fruits” is their presentation at the department stores in lit-up glass cases. They put these in cardboard boxes so that you can’t see what you are paying $120 for? That’s strange.

1 Like

I was able to open mine to inspect it. they also had some display melons.

2 Likes

Actually, this kind of produce is a big deal in Japanese culture. Since they have such limited space for agriculture, they can’t pump out fruit the way many countries can and with shipping costs, bringing in fruit can be expensive, too.
So they developed these fruits to make one slice or one piece as satisfying as eating a fruit salad here. That’s why it’s a special gift or reserved for special occasions.
I learned this while my friend spent 5 years in country working.

5 Likes

When in Japan, hit up the fruits parlours there (yes, that’s a thing). At the parlours, you can buy slices of grade A-minus and B-plus samples of those vaunted fruits to try (just a bit too unsightly to gift, but still with all that great taste!)
 And they also make parfait cups with them fruit. Definitely memorable. Best fruits in the world.
#UglyDelicious #ButterFruit

8 Likes

How could I search for these places? What’s the Japanese term? Sounds very enticing!

Sembikiya is the largest, most well-known brand
https://www.sembikiya.co.jp/lang/en

1 Like

I made that last post to remind people (no one in particular, and many I am sure do not need reminding) that Japanese marketers are talented, too. Just because something is from Japan, has a nice story, and a sparkling wrapping doesn’t automatically make it amazing.

I have had fruit like this at Sembikiya and at meals/events in Japan. Yes, it is good. But we have amazing produce from right here that is very good too. To go from a level 9 CA melon for, let’s say, $20, to one of these presumably level 9.5 Japanese melons for $120? You are getting diminishing returns. You are spending $100 on that last half of a point.

But
 if you want to try the “pinnacle” of melon once in your life? Go for it!
Wading back to the shallow end before I get too far into byb waters

5 Likes

I didn’t know Elon Musk also invested in some of these melons. “Musk Melon”
CROWN MELON | MVJ INTERNATIONAL

At Sukiyabashi Jiro the dessert course was a honeydew melon wedge. It was so far superior to any melon I’d previous eaten as to almost qualify as a separate fruit. Still probably wouldn’t pay $130 for it

let’s all chip in a dollar and get those strawberries and have a bite each. LOL.

2 Likes

Ah, you saw what I did there

The person who cuts my hair is Japanese. I saw her today, and I told her about the fruit. She seemed totally dumbfounded by the price and said that pink strawberries weren’t popular in Japan (she last lived there ~5 yrs ago). Fascinating

1 Like

They’re a recent invention.

1 Like

Also does anyone know how niche some of these Japanese fruits are or aren’t? As I understand fruit giving is a big part of celebratory Japanese culture but is every household going out and buying 100 dollar melons to give to relatives and close friends etc? Or do they just give regular fruit?

It seems akin to harrys berries on this board, everyone here knows what they are because we are a bunch of food nerds, that love eating, exploring new cuisine/food, and talking about what we ate. But I know that if I asked my social circle maybe one person would know what Harry’s berries is.

3 Likes

Good article. Very disturbing to read about how global warming is putting all strawberries (at least in CA?) in jeopardy.