Summer / Fall / Winter / Spring fruit

I was told that in Japan, people buy musk melons as gifts. Apparently the cost to grow a quality melon is quite expensive thus the price tag. You can get a much better melon grown here for much much less.

Finding a ripe muskmelon or cantaloupe in California is a challenge. I havenā€™t had one in a few years, since the one farmer who sold them at some farmersā€™ markets near me retired. Everybody else picks unripe or plants varieties that tip off green. And regardless of claims to the contrary they do not ripen further after picking.

If you ever have a chance during melon season, stop by Chino Farms in Rancho Santa Fe. Best I have ever had.

Also here locally, Weiser has really amazing melons.

3 Likes

I had a melon from Weiser a few years ago (IIRC, ā€œSugar Cubeā€) that was right up there with the excellent cantaloupes I remember from my youth.

I think Chez Panisse gets melons from Chino Farms.

F1 hybrid bred for higher brix, which means it can be picked before itā€™s fully ripe and still be sweet. Same idea as supersweet corn and ā€œgoldā€ pineapples.

Weiser has absolutely delicious melons. I actually discovered this via Jeremy Foxā€™s On Vegetables cookbook which has an insanely good Thai-ish coconut/melon cold soup that mentions Weiser by name.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been very pleased with musk melons (and other melon varieties) from underwood. They pick them fairly ripe and have to be eaten within a day or two or they go the alchy side of ripe

1 Like

Sounds right. Where do you get them?

Underwood farms

Bristol Farms gets Weiser Farm melons every so often for those not close to the west side.

1 Like

+1. Really enjoyed the melons we got from them last year.

1 Like

Iā€™ll have to plan a trip to that area next time Iā€™m in LA at the right time of year.

Each year at this time, thereā€™s [a feverish rush to the farmers market to grab sour cherries. People stand in long lines, buy up multiple packs and brag about their haul and from which farms. I, too, have participated in this part of cherry culture in the past, but when I think about all the hubbub, itā€™s really only worth it to me if youā€™re just eating the cherries raw out of hand.

Seriously? I find raw sour cherries unpalatable. The reason I go to substantial trouble to find fresh sour cherries is that the flavor of desserts made with them is superior. Especially clafoutis made French-style, with the pits left in. I bet he prefers his fried chicken boneless.

Went to Torrance fm today.

Kenā€™s top notch has mango nectarines which are delicious very mango-y.

Also tamai strawberries still sweet.

7 Likes

I saw these recently at my local Ralphs. I actually might try themā€¦

I know Iā€™m a broken record, but there is no better grape IMHO than moondrops. Get them while you can.

Ralphs has them on sale this week for $1.99/lb.

7 Likes

good looks

1 Like

thatā€™s a good price.

1 Like

I went to two different Ralphā€™s last weekend to find them. So good, and $1.99/ pound is a great price. They were $3.99 at Whole Foods a couple days later.

1 Like