Sun Nong Dan has the best Galbijjim

My apologies.

I know not what I do.

1 Like

Sun Nong Dan in the SGV has opened. Went there 2 weeks ago. It’s on Las Tunas Dr, where the old Tokyo Lobby used to be. Hours are 11am-11pm.

Quality seems to be the same as the original. This spot is much bigger and there was no wait when I went. Clientele seems to be more Chinese but saw that most ppl weren’t ordering the Galbi Jjim. I don’t think they really know the restaurant. Most people seem to be ordering a hot pot type dish. Hope people soon realize how good their Galbi Jjim is and I hope they start bringing in more people. Waitresses speak Chinese so obviously seem to be catering to the Chinese crowd since the one in K-Town was pretty popular with the Chinese too.

Sun Nong Dan
927 E. Las Tunas Dr.
Sam Gabriel, CA 91776
626-286-1234

Typing on iPad so apologies for grammatical and spelling errors

1 Like

Yup, it’s open! Been going there a few times a week since their soft opening.

Clientele is chinese because… it’s an area heavily populated with chinese…

They don’t order the galbi jjim not because they don’t know about it (ok, maybe), but more likely because it cost $45-55 for 1 dish and the area is middle class & chinese… who don’t mind eating at sam woo where $55 easily feeds a family of 5. I’m full just ordering a galbitang or seolleongtang for $11-15 by myself so I don’t order galbi jjim unless theres 4+ people.

Word hasn’t really got out, so weeknights shouldn’t have a wait, but I went last friday around 7:30pm and there were 12+ parties ahead of me.

Took a break this week because i’ve gone too often, will be returning again once weather cools down.

I’m mainly glad that something worthy has taken over tokyo lobby’s spot!

1 Like

Love this place. Their tah-roo gook bap is really great too as a side soup.

1 Like

Hi @matthewkang,

What are your favorite / recommended dishes to order here? Thanks.

I just get the spicy galbijjim and order the gookbap as part of the combo. I haven’t really done much else here, though the regular galbijjim is also delicious. I just prefer the spicy one.

2 Likes

yup! the spicy galbijjim is the way to go. We usually get the beef with leek soup with the combo.

I think the pricing is not bad, you get a lot of the galbijjim, we usually end up taking a lot of leftovers home, A small galbijim is good for 4 people i think.

1 Like

New branch open in Rowland Heights on Gale Ave. Posted on Eater today. Very good development for people out this way.

2 Likes

How do you get the combo?

Did they lose their alcohol license? I feel like I haven’t seen alcohol on their menu before…but then again both times I’ve been have been around 4-5 am, so maybe that’s my fault, haha. I’ve got to keep the combo in mind if I ever make it during regular hours I suppose.

Anyway, on my second visit, I recitified my past mistake of forgetting to order cheese, and that is key here because they bring out a blow torch and make whatever type of white cheese they have bring the motherfuckin’ ruckus to the galbi jjim. The sauce and the meat itself also just seemed spicier, and more tender than last time (perhaps the addition of oxtails helped somehow?). Somehow, with the melted cheese creating an epicly stringy, chewy mess with the fragrant sauce and succulent meat over the earthy purple rice, tinged with that addictive, if standard, jalapeno table sauce, you really do get a glimpse of God in this dish.

This place is rapidly becoming my go-to spot any time I am hungry after 2 am (and for sure after 4 am). Although I wish the galbijjim was something that came in just one size down so I could go alone haha

I dream of a day when all 24/7 places are this good.

1 Like

One can get properly liquored up next door at Cafe Bleu before/after hitting SND…

that is my understanding

Has anybody been to the Rowland Heights location yet? I was thinking of going tonight. I wanted to see if the quality is similar to Ktown and if they have a liquor license.

We’ve been to the Rowland Heights location twice. Food is very good, but parking is painful since it is in the same shopping center where Boiling Crab and KHDB are. Did not pay attention to the liquor lincense though.

Thanks. That parking lot was a nightmare when we went to KHDB last year before Sun Nong Dan. We’re planning on going very early ~4:30 depending on traffic.

Dragged my husband here. We accidentally walked into the wrong resto at first, so embarrassing. We apologized and the waitress, who was very understanding, asked us to return. We will - called Mountain, I think.

Was bummed to find they didn’t serve booze, as I promised my husband some with lunch.

Ordered the tripe and intestine dish. I love intestine, but have only eaten pork. Assume this was beef. It had a very strong liver taste, which is fine, but not my fave. The tripe, though, was some of the best I have ever eaten! So tender and well seasoned. Next time will order with extra jalapeños. They provide this amazing dipping sauce - want the recipe!

We also ordered the galbi jjim very spicy. The flavor was awesome and the meat incredibly tender and made my husband forget all about the absence of booze. But it was not spicy, not in the slightest. Not sure if the waiter got our order wrong or this was in fact what the extra spicy tastes like. I do have a high spice threshold.

IMG_20170727_151319

The goodies that come with!

There was so much food we had enough for a dinner of leftovers. I thought the galbi jjim would not be as good but it was just as delicious!

Does anyone know if they do take-out?

4 Likes

I guess they are so busy they don’t need the liquor lic. they lost a few months ago.
Probably they get a faster table turnover without the booze. These days I get a few beers and shots at the bar next door while waiting.

1 Like

Yes someone knows.

(And, [gratuitous answer drum roll please], yes, they do take-out).

1 Like

They do indeed do take out.

In regards to the spice, while Koreans do liberally apply gochugaru to many dishes if you’re used to eating spicy thai, mexican, or sichuanese food the standard spice level in those cultures and dishes definitely dwarfs the average korean spice level.

The only time I’ve ever had what I would consider “super spicy” korean food is spicy dokboki and I feel like the restaurant was doing it as a marketing gimmick and to say that they had the spiciest dokboki, kind of akin to an american chili place serving the “spiciest chili”.

1 Like

Hardly trad, but kyo chon can do VERY spicy chicken.