Sun Nong Dan has the best Galbijjim

Have to chime and say that I think the cheese is a terrible addition to the kalbi jim. It adds a greasy heaviness and the dish becomes too rich. Also the cheese flavor clashes with the flavor of the sauce. I really think they’ve added it just for social media/hype purposes. Just go with spicy

4 Likes

I am no expert on Korean food, although I love it, but I believe the addition of cheese dates from the Korean war which was much more horrific than we Americans have been taught. Thus budae jjigae with its plethora of inedible processed foods; spam, cheap hot dogs, canned baked beans , and American cheese. The Koreans were starving and handouts from American army bases were incorporated into local cuisine. As is said “Hunger is the best sauce”. I haven’t had galbi jjim with cheese so you may be correct in your assessment, but I don’t think its just hype that it is offered.
In response to another theme of this resurrected thread I learned to cook from my father. My mother died when I was quite young and my father cooked for us. He was an excellent cook, and both my brother and I took it up. My sister does not cook. Go figure, but that is why I am an FTCer.

6 Likes

Mission solo galbijjim complete. And I finished everything! Jk. I ate for 20min without taking a breath and it still looked like I barely made a dent.
It has since turned into a daylong meal as I can’t seem to stay away from the leftovers. Nothing but echoes of the other positive reports here. What a wonderful hot spring of a dish. I’d have it any time.

spicy / no cheese

bonus bang bang at Honey Mee

11 Likes

Like the Boss we all know you are…

1 Like

Fuckin A

1 Like

Easier said than done. I’ve tried but it is a very difficult endeavor. Going to try again when I’m in a better more patient headspace.

1 Like

The spicy galbijjim is really quite good, but the “Extreme” is really more of a medium to me:

Copious leftovers, to be sure.

1 Like

Agree. Nothing there is actually all that spicy. It’s more of an overall nice general feeling of heat. That said, I think the flavor balance is actually best at “medium.” The difference between medium and “extreme” is just more of the chili, which isn’t that hot in the first place, but changes the flavor balance in a way I don’t love as much.

This just in. Jun Won has a very special Galbi Jim that has just been added to the menu (on the wall) last month.

4 Likes

Is this still the best spot for Galbi Jjim? Looking for a lowkey spot to have some good food and drinks in the area and landed on here and Kuya Lord, but open to any other suggestions anyone might have.

no, avoid.

3 Likes

Second. Very small pieces of galbi. More like brisket vs galbi jjim. Lot of kids going there and ordering with cheese for the gram. I unfortunately don’t have a recommendation. This is a dish we generally make and eat at home.

3 Likes

Sad to hear it’s gone so downhill I loved that place back in the day!

Thank you guys. I guess Kuya Lord it will be.

Yup! For me the flavor is still there but the lack of short ribs in the dish really takes away from it and I will not put cheese on my galbi jjim.
I like Soban’s galbi jjim, i think its more a traditional style?

5 Likes

Went last night because they’re open late. Delicious. That cheese nonsense woud not improve the dish. I like the menu’s total focus on beef.

Is that chonggak kimchi? It was very good

Seated immediately when we arrived around 1:30 but there was a crowd of people waiting when we left at 2:15.

8 Likes

Might not be as good as it was in its heyday but Seong Buk Dong’s has always been better than Sun Nong Dan or Soban, IMHO. SND’s was fine in its first year or two but was grossly gamey (gamey beef?!) in subsequent visits, albeit pre-pandemic. Never liked Soban’s just like I never liked their gye jahng. Just note that SBD’s is a very simple, homey version and you’ll be good.

5 Likes

Jun Won also has a galbijim.