Sunnin Bakery

When Sunnin moved across Westwood to their current larger location, they held onto the old smaller location, which became Sunnin Bakery. I’ve enjoyed their muhammara pizza and manaeesh with zatar, which are tasty but nothing to write home about.

Recently, however, I tried their special shawarma sandwich, which is only available after 6 pm, and was very pleasantly surprised. I’d always hesitated to try this because I figured it was the same as the shawarma sandwiches they make across the street.

It isn’t. The special shawarma sandwich at Sunnin Bakery comes with shawarma, garlic sauce, tomatoes, pickle spear, and fries. Sort of the Chicago dog of shawarma sandwiches.

One thing that really elevates this sandwich is the freshly baked pita bread. You can see the guys rolling out pitas to order.

And here’s my sandwich about to be put in the oven. As you can see, they bake the pita with the ingredients on it so you know it’s fresh.

I also tried their foul moudamas, which comes with veggies and freshly baked pita.

There is room for improvement. For example, it looks like they get the shawarma from the main restaurant and keep it in a tray on the stove. The freshly baked pita is good but not mind blowing. The sandwich is a little dry from being baked in the oven.

Nothing mind blowing, but I was pleased with my meal and have been back a few times for the special shawarma sandwich. It’s like a mashup of the Sunnin Restaurant and Zankou versions. Not worth a special trip but worth a try if you’re in the area.

Again, however, the sandwich is only available after 6 pm.

5 Likes