Supermarket finds

I found them on Amazon but they don’t look as good as the brand Sari Sari Store uses. I wonder if that company (first world trading corp) only sells in bulk. :thinking: Think I’ll call.

16 OZ Fried Red Onion (Hanh phi) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BDW9DGQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_XRXC2TDDR8VR9SAE65NH

I got a jar at bangluck, I’ll have to check what brand when I get home.

2 Likes

Please do. :slightly_smiling_face: Trader Joe’s sells “Gourmet Crispy Onion Pieces” as a seasonal item around Thanksgiving. I have a container that works in a pinch.

2 Likes

Yes, i posted on the other thread that Andrea Nguyen considers the TJ ones a good substitute.

https://twitter.com/aqnguyen/status/1192572637395836928?s=20

4 Likes

I sometimes eat them straight from the can. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

they should sell them as a snack

5 Likes

IKEA (of all places) has actually very good fried onions year-round in the small Swedish food selection area (normally close to the check out)

1 Like

Maesri brand fried shallots are good too. I usually get them at our local Vietnamese markets.

2 Likes

My mom ALWAYS shredded some cabbage to put in her Nissin Ramen. I add a few more things…

Usually some wok fried tofu, Chopped Bok Choy and Mushrooms topped with Scallions and or Sesame Seeds. Stuff that in my mind will cut the saltiness the noodles or sauce… i haven’t gone out yet but I’ve been craving some Yaki Udon so I made some tonight, so here’s what typically my noodles look like.

8 Likes

this is what i got from bangluck, a bit more oil than what sari sari uses…

1 Like

walmart
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hanh-Phi-Fried-Red-Onion/233704631

1 Like

Hi @PorkyBelly

I’ll probably get those when I use up the TJs brand. They look a little darker than the golden fried onions Sari Sari Store uses, but…

I too saw them on Walmart’s site and got excited until I saw that they’re unavailable at all the locations. :smirk:

Thanks for doing research!

1 Like

Dang these are expensive. Basically looks like 2 orders and the noodles are quite thick for udon. Anybody know this brand?

Jinenjo is mountain yam, so not regular wheat udon.

Surprised to see this at the grocery store. Yeah, it’s Berkeley Bowl, but still.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with a half-kilo brioche.

1 Like

Came across frozen Sun Noodle ramen at Whole Foods in Sherman Oaks yesterday–$2.99 for 10 ounces. Noodles were delicious–toothsome, and made for a perfect mazamen dinner.

1 Like

Bought these because we wanted prunes with pits. The claim on the label that they’re the best in the world might be true. Plump, soft, as good as or better than the best dried apricots I’ve had. Ingredient: prunes.

1 Like

These are great and seriously spicy. Except for the spice they taste like the Japanese peanut snack with the glossy brown pastry shell.

Anybody ever buy this from Tokyo Central? For some reason I wouldn’t hesitate buying a similar sized apple cider for $10 at the farmers market. This piqued my interest but the color was throwing me off.

1 Like