Sushi Amane - Midtown East

My first visit last year shortly after they opened was a complete letdown food and service wise. Helmed by a very young chef albeit with a blue blooded pedigree, he was visibly uncomfortable and nervous back then.

Happy to report a year later, Amane is back in my good graces and competes comfortably in my top tier group of best high-end sushi bars in NYC. Chef Shion Uino was visibly more at ease in the space and confident compared to my previous visit. Additionally seems like he’s developed a strong following as half the diners in my seating were regulars. Rice was very strong, al dente with the requisite ‘sigh’ and you can discern every individual grain in your mouth. All the neta and otsumami were spot on too.

Minor quibbles - shame the space is the least impressive of the recent new heavy hitters, nori not the crispest compared to the best out there. Otherwise it was an excellent dinner.

Pro-tip: opt for the later 8:30pm seating. @PorkyBelly request the "deluxe (aka OOE) " course in your reservation.

Highlight - super crispy crunchy amadai (tilefish). Fried with the scales(?)

Highlight - uni tasting. Bottom left plate clockwise from left 1) Murasaki Uni from Kumamoto - shallow waters 2) Murasaki Uni from Kumamoto - deep waters 3) Bafun uni from Hokkaido. Bottom right picture - Deepest water Murasaki Uni. First impressions of the Murasaki uni - thought I was getting some past prime uni, frankly not the most presentable looking 'nads @Chowseeker1999 But wow, they were good - a more assertive uni flavor compared to the clean crisp Bafun variety. Flavors got more complex the deeper the unis were sourced.

12 Likes

Nice report @Sgee! :slight_smile:

Was that entire tray of Uni yours as well? :wink:

What was your favorite nigiri this evening? Thanks.

Haha, I wish that entire tray was mine. I would have no problem polishing it off myself :smile:.

Hmmm tough call on best nigiri. They were all very good, maybe the Aji. The Saito graduates have been able to crank out really excellent Aji.

1 Like

Binchotan grilled followed by deep frying the scales twice? Brother from another mother? :wink:

1 Like

Nice! Where is this from? What is the pink dust scattered on the plate?

Tenku RyuGin in Hong Kong. I don’t really remember what the pink dust is. I’m guessing that it’s ume salt?

We really need to see more of this prep!

1 Like

Apparently plum powder

2 Likes

+1, that prep from Ryugin looks amazing.

Those crispy scales ate like chips

This was the deluxe?

No, mine was the regular, didn’t realize there was a deluxe option til mid way through. Noticed a few of the regulars had additional dishes and inquired.

1 Like

nice report @Sgee, looks like the NSR was on point too. is noz still your number one?

If you only have the belly/time for one sushi dinner at these newcomers, I recommend Noz. Its a fun overall package - theatrical experience, interior design, food etc.

Noda and Amane’s progression fall into the camp of the austere school of Kanesaka. Great options if you have time for another sushi dinner.

I believe they spoon hot oil over the scales first followed by grilling the fish Wakasa-yaki style.

I don’t know. That’s what my waiter told me!

The Guy Savoy version is simply seared scale side down on a skillet…it’s nowhere near as good

No one in NYC making sushi quite like Wilcox at Shoji.

Care to elaborate? I haven’t been back since my one visit last year.

Perhaps what has evolved the most is the rice. After Onodera, his rice has the boldest seasoning. The preparation and progression of neta is most evocative of edomae. He almost always has kohada as part of the regular progression. The one exception is that he rarely has tamago; a consequence of the effort required to pull off the kaiseki/kappo inspired tsumami that precede the nigiri.

1 Like

1 Like

no longer available :frowning:
but shoji still doing a good takeout/delivery option
They’re finally doing tamago and it’s awesome.