Sushi I-NABA - OOE Omakase

Is Yoshi-san’s new place open this weekend for takeout?

He is saying he has kama toro for this weekend???!?

5 Likes

Looking forward to everyone’s sushi and sake take out photos when he opens (yes please buy sake to support him too!)

1 Like

aaaand IG post deleted

Maybe he’s just opening friends and family. Probably probably didn’t realize he put himself on blast off

1 Like

launch scrubbed

5 Likes

New location in Torrance! $280pp omakase starts on 2/5/22…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZJLMK3LFX5/

4 Likes

temporary new location is inside inaba at the former tempura nagomi counter

3 Likes

quite an arms race in l.a these days for omakase prices…

1 Like

I think this is a big part of the reason…

i’m sure that’s part of it. probably not the only part though.

1 Like

True. It’s also what the market will bear.

our meal at holbox in december 2021 did not cost significantly more than our meal at holbox in december. the scallop aguachile was $15 in 2018 and $16 in 2021.

have increases at places like providence been roughly comparable to the increases in prices of the high-end omakase counters?

Japan’s fishing and seafood market has been hit hard by COVID, and so prices are up accordingly. I believe it’s the imported seafood (from Asia especially) that’s the costly portion for chefs in L.A. these days. Not sure what the current economic picture of the locally sourced seafood market looks like, though.

I am sure @Eater15 can comment much better than myself on all things seafood.

2 Likes

all in all, it’s looking like on our next trip to l.a (maybe as early as this summer) our splurge meal will likely feature not sushi but american/european high-end. this decision used to be very easy to make in favour of sushi in the past.

will prices come down when prices in japan come down? i suspect not. it hasn’t happened with scotch whisky since the trump tariffs were suspended.

2 Likes

Maru-san at Mori said back in november that it was actually much easier for him to get great/unique product from japan because competition from local japanese buyers was reduced, although easier is not necessarily the same as cheaper

5 Likes

I would say the current staffing issues and inflation are impacting seafood prices far more than supply issues for local product. I haven’t seen much change in commercial, wholesale and dock prices for local fish.

Fish coming from Japan is similarly probably more impacted by the higher shipping rates and other supply chain issues than covid-related market shifts in Japan, but that’s more speculative for me to say. I would actually like to know what you saw that indicated covid affected their fishing practices much. That would surprise me.

Fishing is a rough way to make a living – much as I loved it, it’s not for the timid. Fishermen tend to keep fishing – no matter what. I would be really surprised if Japan’s fleet cut back much besides in the early 2020 timeframe when the market might’ve had more fish than it could use with the lockdowns. Once people were allowed to even leave the house, the docks here resumed buying and the fishermen kept fishing, as they always do. Would be interested to see how Japan’s fleet was actually impacted over the last year or so.

4 Likes

Broken into :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfcA2iXJvTk/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

4 Likes

iwashi maki alert

:sushi: :sushi: :sushi: :sushi: :sushi:

10 Likes

mako garei alert

haven’t seen this around these parts before

7 Likes

Today, 03/06 is Yasu San’s birthday. Cheers with Sake from Shunji San and the rest of Shunji’s team - I just delivered the sake and ate a little bit…

Small Hotaru Ika alert, in Shiso sauce, with Tairagai (03/04) and without (03/05).

Tairagai on 03/05 has an important business to attend:

Also, this is the current “pregnancy special”

Along with Noresore, Engawa, Sayori, Male vs Female Bafun uni… too many ways to be happy here!

*Noted that Weekend Shari (Fri & Sat) is slightly different from weeknights (Wed & Thu) and also a bit different from the collaboration at Kaneyoshi. Make sure to ask and find a way to experience all these beautiful versions of Yasu San’s Shari.

Neta lineups this weekend

14 Likes